PDA

View Full Version : sound editing software

bif
12-11-2000, 09:04 PM
Guys, please excuse me if this isn't the right place to ask such a question but, from my eavestropping on these forums so far, i noticed that a lot of the posters work with sound files, so I hoped someone could answer this. I am looking for a basic sound editing software solution to shop up my recorded albums into tracks so I can convert them into MP3's and archive them, later recording them with a cassette deck or burning them onto CD's. nothing fancy, not trying to clean them up or anything, just want to record an entire side of an album and then separate it into individual tracks before turning in loose on SoundJam. thanks for your thoughts.

magician
12-11-2000, 09:22 PM
sorry, not my area of expertise.

hopefully one of the other cowboys here will have ideas for you.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
12-11-2000, 10:10 PM
Are you starting with records or CD's?

bif
12-11-2000, 10:43 PM
I am recording my LP's onto the hard drive of my 7500. Sometimes I record from the cassette player, but very seldom. The turntable has a pre-amp, so it plugs directly to the RCA inputs on the 7500 (A/V model).

Dogstarman
12-12-2000, 12:26 AM
SoundJam lets you record from digital or analog sources, but you need the Pro version (pay some $) to do so. Peak will let you record as well, but also allow for cleanup and processing, which SoundJam cannot even begin to handle. I have experience with both. Both accomplish their goals just fine, if not better. There are many others out there. Other folks will be here soon with more info on their choices and knowledge.
www.soundjammp.com (http://www.soundjammp.com) www.bias-inc.com (http://www.bias-inc.com)

despaxas
12-12-2000, 05:41 AM
If your processor is fast enough, soundjam will record and convert to mp3 in real time. If not, Coaster is a fantastic freeware stereo recorder. It will clip spikes in audio, beep (or not) to let you know it has clipped, a button to start a new file while you are still recording (perfect for entire album recording), countdown timer for hard disk space remaining, and accurate meters. It doesn't take up much ram, and likes stock processors. I'm amazed it's free.

Note: there is a fundamental problem with burning AIFF files to a CDR/W that were originally mp3s. You might already know this, but mp3s are small because softer audio that immediately follows something loud is cut out, leaving thousands (or millions) of tiny "unnoticable" gaps in the wave. MP3's will also crop some of the highs, and more lows (depending on encoding settings) when encoded. When the mp3 is converted back to AIFF (uncompressed audio) the gaps remain. I can sometimes tell the difference (I'm an audio engineer), but each person perceives audio differently, and the type of music recorded is important, also. Your idea will definitely work, and sound fine. I don't mean to disuede you, only to inform.

jeff

(for playback of mp3s, Arboretum sys has an audio plugin for soundjam called "Realizer" that somewhat compensates for this effect. It needs a fast processor to be effective, though.)

bif
12-12-2000, 11:51 AM
Thaaaank you! I just couldn't figure out how to search for a program to do this, but coaster is great. I looked through versiontracker and such for "recorder", "CD", "edit", etc.. too hard to find something. I am using it right noe and trying to get some setting for automatic recording that work with my old LP's. This would be "hands Off" but the scissors button is also an option when I am sitting here doing other stuff - might even be the preferred method xince I haven't taken the time to listen to some of this old vinyl in a long, long while, plus many of my records are pretty hacked up, lots of pops and static. Thanks a bunch. Now I gotta buy my RAM.

jorge
12-12-2000, 02:16 PM
You don't have to be an audio engineer to notice the difference between mp3 and aiff. Just a good set of speakers. I run the Cambridge Soundworks Microworks and you start noticing the mp3 limitaitons. My brother has a set of Mackie studio monitors with a MOTU system and damn, its like night and day! Maybe Santa will give me a pair.

j

despaxas
12-12-2000, 03:13 PM
yeah, sweet speakers reveal a lot more artifacts. Encoding at least 160 or even 192kbps helps. It's a shame soundjam defaults at 128. I didn't mean for my earlier post to come off sounding like that.

I belive audio distribution peaked with the half-speed mastered records. Nothing has yet compared with the throbbing heartbeat at the beginning of Dark Side of the Moon on a really high end system. Although Sony's new 1 bit recorder is supposed to be amazing.

[This message has been edited by despaxas (edited 12 December 2000).]

magician
12-12-2000, 05:08 PM
guys, I am really enjoying this thread.

thanks for teaching me something new!

Louie
12-12-2000, 07:22 PM
See Magician; one advantage to have lost our hearing due to loud gunfire; can't tell the difference between AIFF and MP3.

bif
12-12-2000, 11:38 PM
I'm asking you guys to think some kind thought s for a friend of mine that I was talking with tonight and come to find out that he is also involved with converting his record albums over to CD's. Unfortunately, he is a windows person and is recording them one song at a time, converting the file and then saving it and then doing the whole thing again with the next song. I could hear the pain in his voice as he thought he would finish in about 20 years. I told him about the coaster program and the clipping ability as it saves the file and keeps recording, never missing a note. He wanted to strangle me. Wonder if there is a similar program for the dark side?

Louie, how about those years of working in and around helos? I don't even know why I record stuff in stereo sometimes, I've lost so much high frequency perception I'm about ready for the Beltone store.

Louie
12-13-2000, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I have to read lips a a cocktail party.

despaxas
12-13-2000, 05:09 AM
probably, but I don't know of one. I'll ask someone tomorrow. Soundforge is the only reason I would ever want to run a peecee. We have one at the studio, but it is just an internet box that we make fun of. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

magician
12-13-2000, 06:16 PM
gunfire definitely took its toll, but I think logging so many hours in C-130's, C-141's, UH1H and Blackhawks played a role, too.

not to mention all the great punk rock I listened to in Seattle in the early '80's, before Nirvana and Pearl Jam even existed. I'm talking about the Maggot Brains and the DT's playing the Mother's Day show at the Gorilla Room.

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 13 December 2000).]