PDA

View Full Version : Am I here?

billbo
03-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Just wondering, cause the last few posts I've replied to haven't shown any of my replies.

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

ChrisYip
03-11-2002, 06:36 PM
I see you...

rwm
03-11-2002, 08:19 PM
I see ya to. - Randy

billbo
03-11-2002, 10:05 PM
I posted a couple of replies earlier, but I couldn't seem them from Netscape (the only browser I have installed on my Mac right now).

However, I think that this might have something to do with a new "Gateway Server" application that I'm using (installed on a DEC-Alpha NT4.0 Workstation) to distribute my local Dial-up account to 2 Macs and a PC (yuck, a wIntel).

I've also noticed that I can't access the Guru's ftp site with Fetch (v3.0.3, ie, when fetch was still free) either.

I have the (http) proxy configured correctly and supposedly the ftp proxy as well, but since this is pretty new territory for me, I guess I'm gonna have to work out the kinks by trial and error (the company that created the app, doesn't support it anymore since Intel strong-armed the DEC-Alpha chip from Compaq/who bought out Digital=DEC).

------------------
Bill

mactheripper
03-12-2002, 02:12 AM
Check your proxy settings and cache settings, too. The cgi that adds text to posts reloads the same page to show you the new page, so if you are caching the page, it will not show your new posts, but nefariously appear to have ignored them. That's how you end up with mass hysteria.

billbo
03-12-2002, 01:07 PM
mactheripper,

after a restart of both the Alpha (and hence the Gateway Server) and the Mac, things appeared as they should.

since I still have the slow-a$$, stock Mach 64 that came with my (XLR8 G3/500) 9500/200, I use a 5MB RAM Disk for my "cache" folder.

I got the idea of doing it that way, cause I sure as hell don't want stock up a bunch of crap in my Pref's folder (with everything else that builds up there alongside it), so, when I shutdown for the night, I get rid of it.

thanks for the response though, now I've just gotta figure out how to get Fetch working.

Might it have something to do with SOCKS 3 & 5? I know I should be asking this sort of thing over on the Network forum, but I'm here in the now.

thanks again for the input

------------------
Bill

ChrisYip
03-12-2002, 10:52 PM
The other thing might be (and this depends on your gateway machine) if it's acting as a Web Cache for your LAN - I have Vicomsoft Internet Gateway running a test DHCP / Firewall system for our lab and you can set up RapidCache on it...

Chris

mactheripper
03-13-2002, 01:58 AM
I think he means the gateway server is an app, not a standalone machine. There are also settings in IE/Netscape to Update Pages (once per session, never, or every time).
I have mine set to every time.

Keep crankin'... I solved a LAN/router problem last night after four hours of tearing my hair out, and now my cable broadband is shared at blazing speed between a Mac and a PC through a firewalled router. Yee-haw!!!

ChrisYip
03-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Yup - Network problems can be a pain - the Vicom software is pretty slick though and much cheaper than a hardware router / firewall solution at least in the case where I want to have 100 BaseT on both the WAN and LAN sides .. it may be slightly slower though

I set up a colleague's Microsoft SQL server box behind a Linksys Firewall - he was being set up as a movie server for someone in Europe - we're talking 10 GB of data a day being sucked out of his 1/2 terabyte storage array...And the best benefit of helping him out? - A case of Guinness ;-).. Now - if only I can figure out how to block certain IP's from trying to access his SQP TCP/IP port, then I can set up an external (to his firewall) data access viewer...

Chris