View Full Version : USB printer sharing with OS 10.2 and OS 9.2.2

09-02-2003, 07:59 PM
I have a G4/867(OS 10.2) with an Epson C80 connected. A old beige G3/266 (OS 9.22) and older Mach Mac (8500/300 - OS 9.1) connected via 10/100 switch. Started the G4 in 9.2.2, set up USB printer sharing, and both the older macs could print. Restarted G4 in OS X, opened os 9 USB printer sharing CP (to fire up OS 9), and was still able to print. 20 hours later, NO REBOOTS, and neither can print to the G4. But there's more! On the G3, when you look at Network Printers in the USB PS CP, the printer is listed and checked -- but when I open the chooser and try to select the correct port for the C80, all I get for ports are Printer, Modem and USB 1 (the G3 does not have a USB card)! The 8500 sees nothing! Are my hopes of happy printer sharing with OS 9 & OS X dashed? I did check out the the Dread Pirate Roberts March thread, but it yielded no answers.

09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
?Taken with a grain of salt since I haven't run OS9 in over a year. Have you turned on Appletalk on the G4 in Network Prefs? You should not have to run Classic to share a printer over the network, you just will have to do the network in Appletalk for the non-OSX machines. The printer share function is really good in OSX.

?Hope what I said makes sense since I haven't done this in long enough that my brain, such as it is, hardly remembers my name.

signed uh........Rick, yeah, that's it.

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

09-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Appletalk is engaged. If I have all three mac running OS 9.2, all is well. Once the Quicksliver switches back to OS x, the other two can no longer see the printer. The OS 9 printer sharing just beachballs and yeilds nothing.