PDA

View Full Version : Second CD Drive in upgraded Beige G3/G4

Wyzard21
05-23-2002, 04:31 PM
I've got a question regarding two CD drives in a Beige G3 ... now upgraded to a G4/533 via a PowerLogic ZIF. I swapped out the OEM Apple 24x CD-Rom after it stopped working, with a Teac CD-RW . The burner works fine with Toast, and with iTunes (OS 9.2.2) ... I'm trying to get sound out of an additional 52x CD-Rom drive. My understanding is that with OS 9 audio is supported thru the data cables ... is there a driver from Apple to alow this support .. or is the audio cable a necessity to get sound to the speakers (headphone jack delicers sound) ? Perhaps a third party driver would do the trick.... any ideas from the MacGuru community?? ...thanx
wyzard21

BDAqua
05-23-2002, 07:05 PM
There is a 3rd party driver to replace Apple's CD/DVD Extensin with... starts with a "C"... can't remember... perhaps Charismatc? Anyway, it worked on an external SCSI CD, to play using the built in sound or external speakers. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ricercar
05-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Charismac "Anubis," and FWB "CDROM ToolKit," were 3rd party Macintosh CD drivers from the MacOS 7 era. Unfortunately I have no MacOS 9 experience to share.

BDAqua
05-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks Ricecar..."Charismac", that was it... it worked in 8.6 and 9.04, and 9.1 on my Beiges.

Wyzard21
05-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Thank you both, BD Aqua and ricercar... MacGurus is the only place to post an inquiry when I run into some odd tech problem ... I can always get an eager reply and an honest answer... thanks again.
wyzard21