PDA

View Full Version : Beige g3 upgrade confusion

sonicsam
06-13-2001, 08:32 AM
hi everyone,

I have a beige g3 266 MT rev A with 192 RAM and a Sonnet ultra ATA 66 + maxtor 30 Gb 7200 rpm.

what processor upgrade should I consider ? g3 500 Mhz or g4 500 Mhz ?
there is a small price difference, but I'm not sure I need the g4. Is it much faster than the g3 ?
I use audio soft- and hardware mainly (Digital Performer & Protools).
Is that Altivec thingy going to be of use to me ?

I heard that I could use faster RAM (133 ?) and that I could put in more than the maximum of 384 Mb, how is that ? Will this help performance noticable ?

Also I would like to try to connect my slower stock drive (Quantum) to the Sonnet card. Would that slow down the bus speed or would it just increase performance on the Quantum ?
Do I need a new flat cable for that or can I just put the stock cable on the Sonnet ?

Questions, Questions .

Thank you for our patience,

Sam

Louie
06-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Are you sure it's a Rev A? (ROM subversion 4.0 F2).

There are reports that some but not all Rev A don't take to CPU upgrades unless you switch to a Rev B ROM, so be prepared.

The G3 and G4 have the same performance except for AltiVec enabled apps. I don't know if Digi has that or not.

A properly upgraded (quality ZIF, not gray market) Rev B can run good quality (Gurus) PC 100 and PC 133. Never tried a Rev A.

Those stock drives were slow as hell so I don't know if the Sonnet card would make it go faster or not. Just switching to a modern ATA drive on ATA channel 0 would almost double your current transfer rate. UltraSCSI would be much better.

The stock cable will work if long enough, but ATA cables are dirt cheap.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 13 June 2001).]

sonicsam
06-13-2001, 06:14 PM
Yes Im pretty shure its a rev A... Where can I get a rev B ROM ? How much would that cost me ?
thanks again,

sam

magician
06-15-2001, 03:33 AM
ROM haven't been available on the market for a while now.

you can max your memory at 768MB, and you should, while SDRAM is dirt-cheap.

in your case, using audio apps, I would get the G4 to support AltiVec. I would definitely recommend an XLR8 G4 ZIF Mpe, both for compatibility now, and for future expansion to dual processors.

you can use your standard IDE cable on your Sonnet card.

all this stuff is sold on the main site.

Louie
06-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Occasionally a Scalper will show up on eBay or someplace with a Rev B ROM. I still have never heard of someone just walking into an Apple shop and trying to order one. I guess you'd have to have a bad one in your hand.

sonicsam
06-16-2001, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the reply,
but I think I will just go for it with the upgrade (propably a G4 450 MPe).
I've read some reports from users with rev A's who had no problems at all, so...
In the mean time I tried to connect the stock Fireball to the Sonnet with its own flat cable, but the cable was too short. So I ran out and bought a Ultra ATA/66 cable, wich was 18" long, still a bit short, but ok.
Started up, but couldn't find my stock drive, not with Drive Setup or Sytem Profiler nor with EpressPro-Tools... What's up with that ?
Tried the standard cable on the Sonnet (had to remove the disk) : no go...
Just gave up en reconnected everything back, to my surprise my stock drive didn' t want to start-up anymore, (got the finder screen, but no drives, and spinning wheel...) AAAAARGH !!!!
Did I blew my drive or am I doing some thing wrong ?
Please help...

sam

[This message has been edited by sonicsam (edited 17 June 2001).]

Louie
06-17-2001, 11:09 AM
There should be no connection between the two events. Maybe your stock drive was florfed and just ready to go. Have you tried DiskWarrior, Norton, DFA, anyhing to try to square it away?

Check your cable connections. You've been messing around in there.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 17 June 2001).]

dragon_x
06-17-2001, 12:13 PM
Started up, but couldn't find my stock drive, not with Drive Setup or Sytem Profiler nor with EpressPro-Tools... What's up with that ?
The only thing I can think of is that a PCI IDE/ATA card actually shows up as a SCSI - so you would have to reformat the stock drive. Of corse Drive Setup should see it. Not sure why you wanted to connect the stock drive up to the card though. I often hook up ATA/66/100 drives to the stock bus and it works great. It is about 16MB/s - and those original drives probably only do about 6MB/s, if that.

new IDE/ATA drives are cheap too http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy: Earth
The third planet from a insignificant star in the outter rim of the galaxy. It is mostly harmless. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Louie
06-17-2001, 06:44 PM
I didn't catch that. That's strange. I thought he got the Sonnet thing for a 30 GB Maxtor.

sonicsam
06-18-2001, 01:13 AM
I just wanted to see if the stock drive would perform any better on the Sonnet, that's all...
Thought about Norton, DiskWarior en stuff, but how can I use those when I can't even get started up with this drive connected ?
I guess I'll go to the local mac store and have them look at the drive. It's not that important though, it was due for reformatting anyway...

sam

magician
06-18-2001, 05:21 PM
look at the connectors on your cable and drive. Maybe you bent a pin?

reseat everything, and I mean everything, including and specifically the PERCH card.

Louie is right: you've been messing around in there, and you probably bumped something.

did you remember to attach your power cable?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

sonicsam
06-19-2001, 06:34 AM
Yes, found the problem ! As sugested a pin on the connector of the drive was pushed in because the ATA 66 cable has a different connection. I didnt see that when I was trying to put the ATA 66 on the stock drive... Stupid me !
Ill have a more technical experienced person look at it, maybe it can be saved ?
Thanks for all the help.

magician
06-20-2001, 03:32 AM
IDE cables are affordable. (We sell them on the main site IDE page).

I would replace it.