PDA

View Full Version : Mac wont boot. No chime nothing. HELP (voodoo reset)

zerosignull
12-27-2003, 08:35 AM
First of its a dual 867mhz g4 MDD.

When i press the power button i dont get ne thing. Sometimes i ahce to hold down the power button just to get it to turn on but ither way it doesnt boot. there is no chime no error beeb's nothing. Ive tried diferent ram in different slots and still nothing. I have also disconected the hd, dvd and still nothing. Help!

Thanks

Zerosignull

zerosignull
12-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Ps. the light of the power button comes on then fades striaght away

ricks
12-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Z,

?Welcome. First thing to try is resetting the PMU. The Power Management Unit is a microprocessor that controls startup, sleep and shutdown and is reset by a little button on the motherboard. I have never had the 867 Dual model to know exactly where the button is, usually it is right next to the battery. The button is in a little 1/4 inch can and is a plastic 1/8 inch round button. Pull the power cord, press it once with a pencil or similar, hold for 6 seconds and then wait 20 seconds before hooking up the power cord and rebooting. That should get it going. If not we'll figure something else.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

zerosignull
12-27-2003, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ricks:
Z,

Welcome. First thing to try is resetting the PMU. The Power Management Unit is a microprocessor that controls startup, sleep and shutdown and is reset by a little button on the motherboard. I have never had the 867 Dual model to know exactly where the button is, usually it is right next to the battery. The button is in a little 1/4 inch can and is a plastic 1/8 inch round button. Pull the power cord, press it once with a pencil or similar, hold for 6 seconds and then wait 20 seconds before hooking up the power cord and rebooting. That should get it going. If not we'll figure something else.

Rick

_Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that. same as before. the unit powers up. the drives spin up. no chime. then ~10 seconds later the main fan comes on full speed. nothing on the screen or and beeping from the mac

ricks
12-27-2003, 11:39 AM
So here's a bit of Voodoo from Greentree,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up. Goodluck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got me, but it worked for Damien on his MDD last week.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

zerosignull
12-28-2003, 02:59 AM
its Still refusing to do ne thing.

Greentree_uk
01-07-2004, 02:09 AM
hi zerosignull,if the pwr light comes on when u press the button then goes off when you let go you have to use the dubbed "voodoo" method to fix it. you may have to try it a good few times. but I assure you it will work

mnatco
02-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Tried the "Voodoo from Greentree" described in an earlier post after having tried everything else and it worked first time.

wolfpweb
03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Another "trouble in paradise"... A real puzzler.

Did some light work with a 867MHz QS this morning. Everything went well. Though the weakest of my units, always been reliable. Shut the unit off as always, then switched off the power light on the power tap. Left for a good portion of the day. Upon return tried to start the same QS... Nothing, zilch.
Power light comes on, goes off when I pull the finger. Hm... Checked and even switched the power cord. Same difference. Went to another unit, got on the web, straight to the 'Gurus' where I remember having come across several threads relating to the issue.

Ok, found this one here... Followed Ricks advice re. removal of Ram. Video card & battery (which tested good). Did the VOODOO thing... Waited, then powered up. Lights came on on the mobo. Weird beep sound (chime..?) after quite a few seconds. Ok, I thought, I'm back in business. Pushed the power button, unit wouldn't shut down. Cut the power via tap switch. Reinstalled Ram etc. Tried booting... Zilch. Only the power button light came on again.

Powered off, again... Removed Ram & battery, pushed cuda & power button at the same time for 'bout 6 to 7 sec's... Going to sleep now. Will try to follow the rest of 'Ricks route' in the morning. If anyone has a better idea or finds fault with proceedings, PLEASE POST!!!

:mad:

rwm
03-18-2006, 09:18 PM
PRAM zap. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) Or an Open firmware (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642) reset? OF reset bailed out me once - so did PMU. - Randy

rwm
03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
When I attempt to start my computer I press the button and right when I release the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans go on like normal, but that's it. Not sure about the hard drives Also, holding down the power button for 8 seconds does shut the computer down. The computer never chimes like it normally does on startup. Randy

unclemac
03-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Think you are on the right track. May take a couple more attempts, according to a couple other threads. Stick with it.

wolfpweb
03-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Wow..! What would we do without the GURUS..?

After my morning coffee, came right back to this here thread; encouraged...
Went to the 867MHz, pushed he power button once more, then got the juice flowing (from the TAP) and powered up... YES, mobo light went on and (most importantly, for the first time) I could hear the HD spinning. Again I got one long sound (neither beep nor chime) while the light on the pwr bttn went on & off several times. Ok, pushed the pwr bttn for as long as it took and the machine turned itself off...

Installed one Ram stick + the battery. Booted. Gurus, was I relieved..! Had to reset the clock, that's all. Will proceed with full Ram and if U don't get an additional posting, that would mean I am back to 'normal'.

What puzzles me, obviously, is, how the trouble originated at all..? Just think, we didn't have these 'communities' we'd all be paying through the nose taking our computers to the shops... I mean, I had nightmares as to: CPU, graphics card, Ram and -as always- the mobo...

VOODOO, indeed.

TZ
03-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Maybe the PSU is tired? Telling you it wants a new UPS? weak battery? just needed to bleed off any charge or juice? I worry when it is cold/dry that I'll carry some static when I touch anything.

LaCie FW cases seem to need a similar routine to fully discharge, but no idea why it happens.

... now go have your coffee and sit back! :D

wolfpweb
03-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Dr. TZ... Cold & dry, indeed. Unit running now with full 1.5 Gigs of Ram, nice & quiet. PSU..? I doubt it, simply because this QS doesn't get heavy work to do. No PCI or SCSI cards. My most challenged workhorse really is the QS with the 1.33MHz GigaBump. That one has a SATA PCI card, a PCI graphics card (Formac) and an Adaptec SCSI for the film scanner. My down again (after a mobo replacement) MDD is still waiting for the RMA papers from Apple Care... Spare me the details, at this point. "Kafkaeske"..!

Is there such thing as "static overload"..? If so, that's probably what had caused the QS trouble.

Am I relieved.

TZ
03-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually, what I meant about PSU/UPS was that if your system has to do the work to manage voltage rather than a UPS, it does put some stress on the PSU, not that it wasn't strong enough.

My house current is bad enough that I need a line conditioner / UPS - and had last UPS go out after 21 months (APC XS-1500), and while I can't be 100% certain, I think that contributed. I now run the system and UPS off its own line to the circuit board.

unclemac
03-19-2006, 11:59 AM
My wild hunch: the PMU gets confused, and needs a full reset.

Out of about 6 MDDs at work, we have one that needs a voodoo rest almost everytime it gets a full shut down. Hard to tell, cause it is a server that runs 24/7 for a year at a time with only a handful of restarts. Restarts are good, but full shutdowns.....it does not like. In a rack on a very nice high end UPS, had the problem when running from both the native ATA buses and a ATTO UL3S SCSI setup, and through several different OS installs.....so I don't know what else to blame 'cept the Mac itself.

Maybe there is just a batch of MDDs that are finicky. Mostly problems with early ones I think?

rwm
03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
My wild hunch: the PMU gets confused, and needs a full reset. From my QS and recent DA experience I would agree. Exactly what I've sat here and thought it seems "the PMU gets confused" needs down time?, a different reset? I don't know. (How?) In fact as I box my QS up to get logic board or power supply fixed...... I still feel nothing is wrong and if it would just boot up once for me. But I am only guessing ... I got no experience except a few crashed computers. :D - Randy

wolfpweb
03-20-2006, 11:35 AM
In hindsight...

2 possible reasons which might have caused this particular incident...
One, I do move files between computers via portable FW/USB devices. But I always make sure they get "ejected" before shutdowns. However, might they be the source of static..? (Unlikely, but U never know.)
Two, I sometimes forget to "quit" PhotoShop (CS2 on this one) and it becomes visible, as a flash so to speak, during shutdown. That was the case that very morning.
By the way, Dr. TZ, I have one of them big PSU's... Use it no longer, after it woke up the house one night, some 2 years ago, with its built-in alarm. Don't think we have power fluctuation problems here. One would assume, they would create havoc in not just one but all of the 3 G4's in my studio. Especially in the one which is 'heavily loaded'...

Since Apple seems rather 'moot' on the issue, we have to try to get to the roots on our own...

rwm
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
hi zerosignull,if the pwr light comes on when u press the button then goes off when you let go Which light - power light in front, on logic board? Where?

I am getting ready to ship my QS off but might try one last boot. ;)

My QS problem......
When I attempt to start my computer I press the button and right when I release the power button, the light on it goes off (only stays on while the button is being pressed). The fans go on like normal, but that's it. Not sure about the hard drives Also, holding down the power button for 8 seconds does shut the computer down. The computer never chimes like it normally does on startup. Randy

wolfpweb
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Randy, Ur problem -I hate to let U know- stems most likely from a bad mobo or CPU. When I had similar trouble, it was the mobo... My recent (above) issue was quite different, since nothing happend inside the unit trying to power it up. Only the pwr btn lit up, but nothing else...

Good news, bad news... I just got off the phone with my Apple Care 'Helper'. As I've mentioned here or in another thread, I am supposed to get a G5 as a replacement for my troubled DP MDD... The one that just had its mobo replaced and gave me no more than 'bout 8 hours of crash-free usage... Now that 'guy' knows a few things, wow..! He explained to me why AHT could not/would not recognize the original issue which was a bad Ram slot, the J20... The G4 would crash only after a few hours of seemingly flawless performance, because by then it would be hot enough to bend some weak metal in the Ram slot. A copper heat sink would only have delayed the agony...Therefore the actual Ram stick could not've been at fault. And with AHT employed, even all night, the unit would never get hot enough for the trouble to occur. Now, even though the MDD in question would be good for 1 more repair under AC, he decided to retire it because apparently Apple just doesn't seem to have anymore mobo's in perfect condition that would make an other replacement a sound choice.

Regarding the recent QS failure at start-up, he actually took the time to give me a hint as to the most likely causes... Yes, static a possibility. We hardly had any humdidity here on that day. Ideal, according to him, would be around 96%... More likely though, he suggested (in line with Dr. TZ..!) it would have been some sort of power issue. Even a surge while the computer was turned off. Mine occasionally forgetting to quit the Shp before shutdown can be excluded as a reason. Because the OS does it for me before signing out... I know, that's a lot off 'stuff', all in one posting.

Let's hope someone gets something out of it!

rrische
07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I love this site! Where else can you find this info??

I have a 533 mhz DP DA G4, that I bought new in 2001 and it has worked flawlessly ever since..... until recently. I had left it alone, shut down, for a few months (been doing my work on a PB G4). I went to start it up and sure enough, the power button lights up while you're pushing it, then you let go and nothing. No fan, no HD sounds, no chime, no nothing. I replaced the machine with a new Mac Pro for work, but I wanted to have it repaired in order to retrieve files etc. I was all set to take it in for repairs (I was thinking power supply since there was absolutely no sign of internal activity at all) when I came across this thread.

The things you learn on the internet. I'll be giving the 'voodoo' a try....

Rick

rwm
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I did end up having to get the mobo fixed. A friend was helping me put RAM in and some how he got one stick in backwards or part way and it blew the mobo.

If it is a fried mobo try seeing what these guys can do. They fixed me up just great. http://www.galaxyhp.com/

unclemac
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
....but I wanted to have it repaired in order to retrieve files etc....

Just so you are aware, you can retrieve data yourself without taking it to a shop. Even if you have a bad logic board or power supply, the drive should be accesssable in another Mac, or in a FireWire or USB enclosure. If you want assistance, to walk through this, how about starting a new thread?

Jollybgood
05-14-2009, 06:21 PM
When I push the power button on my G4 MDD (867) the power button lights up for a split second and then nothing.

The fan on the processor briefly spins but that's it.

Push the power button again and not even a brief light/spin. I have to unplug the machine and plug it back in -- then I get the power button lights up for a split second and nothing again.

I followed the VooDoo advice above.

unplugged the box.
removed the ram
removed the battery.

plugged it in. pushed the power button. Same behavior. Lights up briefly and then nothing.

Next I did the above and pushed the PMU and power button at the same time. Power button stays lit but nothing happens.

I do have a question. There's mention of resetting/pushign the cuda button above. I can't find one. Is it the same as the PMU button?

thanks for any advice.

I called a friend and he immediatly told me it's a bad power supply but for some reason I remembered this thread from a few years ago and decided to check here first.

M.Brane
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I would bet it's the PSU.

Jollybgood
05-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I would bet it's the PSU.

What's the best way to eliminate/test the PSU?

M.Brane
05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
You can test a PSU, but it's a hell of a lot easier to just swap in a known good replacement.

Jollybgood
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
You can test a PSU, but it's a hell of a lot easier to just swap in a known good replacement.

I hear ya. Unfortunately I don't have access to a know good replacement without purchasing one.

Guess I'll poke around and see what I can figure out.

Thanks.

M.Brane
05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Checking voltages will tell you if it's functional, but to really test it you need to test it under load. This can be quite the challenge if you're not well-versed in electronics, and don't have the proper equipment which would likely cost more than the PSU itself.

Jollybgood
05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Had it checked today by a friend. Power supply is dead.

Didn't fancy spending 150 bucks for a replacement so I went ahead and ordered a new mac. Should be here Monday.

I'll miss the old girl. She served me well for 7 years. The Dual 1.42 gigabump extended it's usefulness for me by a few years.

Trying to decide if I should sell it on ebay as is or part it out.

M.Brane
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
You can likely get much more out of it by selling the pieces, but you have to factor in your time.

Jollybgood
05-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Well i found a powersupply for 75 bucks and jumped on it. Tosed it in the box and it powered up. Ran it about ten days and everything worked normally.

Problem is in the interim I bought a new 2009 Mac Mini (had to get work done) and I've fallen in love with it. It's faster than my old MDD and silent. Who knew. But there was no going back.

So I put the MDD G4 up for sale and sold for what I was asking (enough to cover the mac mini and the power supply replacment).

So all ends well.

Well... almost.

The buyer contacted me last night and said he received the computer and it won't start up.

Nice guy. We're tryign to sort it out before he sends it back. But basically it's exhibiting the same behavior before I repalced the PSU.

Power light comes on briefly when you push and then nothing.

He's ordered a Pram battery for it (i'm pretty sure the old one is the original battery and I reset the PMU several dozen times when the PSU when trying to determine what was wrong. So there's a good chance it's dead or almost dead. He's ordered a new battery so we'll see how that goes. Fingers are crossed -- but I'm a bit worried the same symptoms are happening.

Reason Im posting. He tested the PSU with a volt meter and says everything seems to be checking out except nothing on the 12 volt pin.

Is this indicative of a dead PSU or is that pin computer controlled (i.e. does the computer have to power up first before you get power on that pin?)

Just curious.

bluehex
12-26-2010, 12:06 PM
I've done the Voodoo fix 7 times, no change, "NO CHIME, SCREEN BLACK". Original problem, when monitor worked and there was a startup chime, but the firewire connection was working intermittently, then not at all, to now. I have also tried zap PRAM on startup, no change. Now when I push start button it lights, withdraw finger, light at button goes off. At start up computer powers on, all fans running, red light at mother board on. I'ver replaced the power supply, mother board, Dual 867MHz CPU, exchanged RAM, and put in (2) new internal Hard Drives. In case the CPU was corrupted, I've ordered one more, to try this again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

rwm
12-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Since you have tried the PRAM without luck.... I'd try an OF reset too.

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
set-defaults -Hit Return
reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

rwm
12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
If others don't have suggestions I will have time later to help. I was fairly familiar with that G4 line and trouble shooting.

Does this have the 133MHz or 167MHz bus

unclemac
12-26-2010, 02:36 PM
About all that is left is the SMC device (.....I think that's what is is called) that is part of the power button on the front.

This seems to be very finicky on some MDDs, and I believe the "voodoo reset" addresses it.

If you can round up a replacement module, might be worth swapping.

rwm
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I found these very old notes buried in an AppleWorks document I'd saved. It looks like 2 or 3 copy and pastes of the Voodoo tip... from different Guru's threads. Some small variations?

Guru Greentree fixed my G4 when it did this - Damien

- remove the CPU
- press the CUDA for 30 seconds or so
- remove the PRAM battery!
- unplug the power cable
- press the power button to discharge any left over power (this might not actually be necessary)
- let it sit with no PRAM battery for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long... probably an hour is good, but if you're patient, you∂ can leave it overnight.
- then put everything back together and try the upgrade again.
------Another------- Greentree's original post I believe
Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up. Goodluck
------Another-------
So, these would be the steps:

1 power off, leave plugged in
2 remove all ram
3 remove all cables, including power
4 press mobo reset button (PMU reset)
5 press power button (still with no cables plugged in)
6 plug in power, press power button (you should get the no ram indicator - 3 beeps)
5 Power down and reinsert ram
7 plug in power, power on

bluehex
12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Will try all the suggestions today and repost what happens this evening.
Thanks for all the comments!

bluehex
12-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Bus is 133 MHz

bluehex
12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Tried all the suggestions, no chime, no image on screen, which is the old 23" HD Cinema. Have tried everything, with and without screen plugged in.

Waiting 8 hours, then finish this one below copied from post, and
then will post results, thanks.

- remove the CPU
- press the CUDA for 30 seconds or so
- remove the PRAM battery!
- unplug the power cable
- press the power button to discharge any left over power (this might not actually be necessary)
- let it sit with no PRAM battery for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long... probably an hour is good, but if you're patient, you∂ can leave it overnight.
- then put everything back together and try the upgrade again.

bluehex
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Its 10 PM on Monday, 12/27/10. Tried all the suggestions, no change.
Computer comes on, fans run, but no chime, and the screen remains black.

Montagnac66
10-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Just a follow-up.
I replaced the Logic Board with a used one purchased on eBay for $200US.
Now my iMac is once again running great.
It was the Logic Board after all.