PDA

View Full Version : Please don't laugh at the age of this MAC: 9600/300

chitwoodstock
12-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Running OS 8.6.

Believe me, if I had a choice, I'd use this one for an end table, but our company still uses this one. Here's the deal: At times, over the past few weeks, this computer refuses to get online. Nothing has changed in any of the settings and I have done all I know to do to repair the problem. Other times, it will get online just fine... which leaves me scratching my head in consternation. I am suspecting a hardware issue, and am wondering if there's anyone out there that could offer any advice on where to go next.
Unfortunately, I am not the only person who uses this workstation, so there is no telling what the next "Joe" is doing. But I still suspect hardware troubles.
Thanks!

TZ
12-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Those were (and still are for some) very popular. The surprise is that it still runs! and you've got 8.6. Some people like to use the TCP and OpenTransport extensions from OS 9.2.2 to use. Make sure someone isn't disabling extensions?

Assuming that DHCP is being used, has not been touched, and the DHCP server is working and okay, swapping out cat5 cable would be one thing to rule out (and no crimps in the cable).

Battery? ethernet port fried by surge or power outage? Try using a PCI enet card?

Sometimes, I just move the Preferences folder out of the system folder and "start fresh" to see if it is a damaged pref.

You can use TombViewer to extract extensions from the 9.1/9.2.1/9.2.2 tomb files in the updaters. OS X installs later versions also.

... not sure but could a weak battery cause trouble like this?

rwm
12-12-2003, 01:07 PM
I have a 7500 G3/400 that gets a little "tempermental" at times. I toss the TCP/IP preference file and things seem to work better for a while. Located... HD/System folder/Preferences/TCP/IP Preferences file

Move it into the trash, restart and see what happens.

Randy

chitwoodstock
12-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Hope someone reads this:

Thanks for the advice. I have been simply throwing away the preferences related to my communications and hoping for the best. We do use DHCP and I have been throwing the TCP/IP preferences away also. If the CAT5 cable was crimped or faulty, would not the printer(s) fail to show up in Chooser? We are also connected to a server and files being transferred to and from work without fail. But now, the other employee who works at this station has informed me that the MAC was also freezing and/or hanging. I say "was" because it now mysteriously is back online.

Any addition comments/ advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the information that has already been given.

billbo
12-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I have had a similiar problem connecting thru the wifes PC (Proxy-Firewall-Dial-up) and found that the E/Net on the PC side was wacked.

Reinstalled driver and it's been fine ever since.

Just my tid bit.

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

chitwoodstock
01-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Okay, this same computer is now freezing at times. I am wondering if an old command is trying to over ride the internet settings, i.e. it's trying to dial up in the background. Is that possible??? I am trying to compare the settings with a Mac that is working properly.

I still hope that maybe it will just shut down quietly forever...

Also, are Refurbished G5s out there already???
Thanks!

TZ
01-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Yes, Apple has refurbished Specials of all G5s and some G4s in there. they had a lot in mid-December - end of year pre-Christmas to clear out inventory. they seem to be doing so again right now.

Just make sure that with your G5 that you have more than ample RAM it seems (256 or even 512 don't cut it).

Make sure that you only have the network interface you need, and put built-in ethernet at the top if you don't use PPP. And make sure PPP isn't set to auto connect I guess.