PDA

View Full Version : Whining is bad or good?

bigmike
12-26-2003, 10:21 AM
...furthermore, several times a day, another G3 laptop starts a high pitched whining and doesn't stop until it sleeps for a while. Sometimes it's accompanied by a freeze. Someone said that G3s run hot and all that is, is the fan coming on. But I don't think a fan would sound like this. I propped it up one inch to give it more air but that hasn't made a difference.

Is whining good or bad?

Thanks.

M.Brane
12-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Hard drive dieing?

bigmike
01-04-2004, 11:50 AM
...you might think the drive is going but I have an identical laptop that was never used until last month (4 or 5 years old and never used) and it too starts to whine after some use. Same sound. Very suspicious situation.

Can't blame it on use. Maybe on age. Do Macs have some parts that degrade over a few years, independant of use?

TZ
01-04-2004, 01:09 PM
First thing to do is run Disk First Aid, then Disk Warrior, and see if that makes any difference. It may.

Any time a drive or system freezes you have the liklihood of corrupt and damaged files and directory/catalogues.

Heat, of course, is not good for a drive, either.

If it has been a year or more since last initialized, I'd backup, initialize, then do a clean system install, then restore what you need. But before restoring, after a good initialize, let Drive Setup run the Test Function just to make sure.