PDA

View Full Version : mac 8500 no boot *blue screen

tgt
12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
while attempting to install a new 9 gb hard drive with an adapter card 80 to 50 pin my system would not boot...when I removed new drive I could boot to one of the old drives fine. Attempted possible jumper settings on new adapter card but no luck....then when I attempted to reboot with one of my old drives again...BLUE SCREEN...no change when switching to other old drive (Previously had two drives installed 1 gb and 4 gb) still blue screen...nothing ive attempted has removed this nasty blue screen ....I then installed both old drives (one at a time) in another computer to see if they would boot...and yes both drives booted fine...but when i attempted the new drive with adapter card in other computer ...then switch to that computers original drive.....it hung on blue screen for a while then finally booted but cause me to be a bit leary of this new drive ....and still can not get the 85oo and either of old drives to boot PLEASE assist with ony info onthis matter...thanks=

tgt
12-17-2003, 12:56 PM
by the way i am running system 9.1 and do not have the original system start disk to try to boot from cant find it or 8.6 disk i had at one time. Figures....thanks again for any help with this ....this is my main puter and need it NOW but am learning patience today

TZ
12-17-2003, 02:27 PM
I tend to think SCA drives on narrow SCSI bus tend to be more expensive when you look at time to troubleshoot, possible lost data etc.

however, the better SCA adapters from GraniteDigital are smart active terminators that do a very good job, but cost $49 for those trying to cheat their way to a cheap fast SCSI drive. I am not a fan of OWC 80-pin adapters. We sell the Granite version (check out the store or www.granitedigital.com (http://www.granitedigital.com) for their full selection of equipment).

You might want to include more information about the system: which Mac, any other hardware, are you using native SCSI bus or 2930 UltraSCSI controller (so you get more out of it).

What did you use to format the disk drive from? or haven't you gotten that far? Drive Setup is good but tends to have trouble with odd, unusual or OEM drives. What is the make and model besides 9GB? (There are a LOT of those floating around.) 68-pin drives (10K 8MB cache, 36GB, ~$155) are much easier to deal with and fast, even in a FastSCSI 10MB bus).

TZ
12-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Check the vendor of the drive for jumpers and information.

Did you clear and reset nvram? cuda reset or try to zap pram?

Really need a bootable CD when you lose the path to boot volume (stored on disk and in nvram). Did you try the "command option shift delete" to search for a startup disk?

What drives and IDs are on the scsi chain? in what order.

Mac = ID 7

Last drive has to have termination (which is where you want to put an active terminator.

tgt
12-17-2003, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TZ:
Check the vendor of the drive for jumpers and information.
((I have the jumper settings info))
Did you clear and reset nvram? cuda reset or try to zap pram?
((No clear or reset of nvram-can not remember how that is done))
((Yes Cuda, Yes PRAM))
Did you try the "command option shift delete" to search for a startup disk?
((Yes, no change))
What drives and IDs are on the scsi chain? in what order.
((Right now I have only one drive connected it is , I believe in the ID=1 position, that is what it was before when connected at that location in the cable.))

Last drive has to have termination (which is where you want to put an _active terminator. _<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did originally place the new drive Seagate Cheetah, 9 gb model st39102LC, at last position in the cable--my understanding was the drive needed to be at end of cable cause of termination ...

tgt
12-17-2003, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TZ:
I tend to think SCA drives on narrow SCSI bus tend to be more expensive when you look at time to troubleshoot, possible lost data etc.

((I may begin to agree with that thought))

however, the better SCA adapters from GraniteDigital are smart active terminators that do a very good job, but cost $49 for those trying to cheat their way to a cheap fast SCSI drive. I am not a fan of OWC 80-pin adapters. We sell the Granite version (check out the store or http://www.granitedigital.com for their full selection of equipment).

You might want to include more information about the system: which Mac, any other hardware, are you using native SCSI bus or 2930 UltraSCSI controller (so you get more out of it).

((Mac 8500 with powerlogix 400mhz g3, no scis controller just the stock scsi.))

What did you use to format the disk drive from? or haven't you gotten that far?

((nope , this was my attempt to hook up drive adn format, system install...9.1 system disk is in the mail to me now))