PDA

View Full Version : B&W G3 startup default to os9

chrisjean1
11-25-2003, 07:06 PM
i have a b&w g3 w/ a 500mhz g4 card and 768mb running os 10.2.8. all of a sudden everytime i boot up my mac, it defaults to os9 and the date/time goes haywire back to 1959 or the 60's. then i have to use startup disk and restart into os x and synchronize the time. please help. is it my battery?

rwm
11-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Battery is a possibility. Someone else had or explained the exact same problems/issues not sure what computer it was on and don't remember the fix right now.

I'll search this forum.

Run Disk Utility, DFA, Disk Warrior, permissions as a start.

Randy

rwm
11-25-2003, 07:31 PM
RAM is also possibility. Bad RAM will do some strange things. Can you check it and see if it is 10ns, 8ns - CAS2, CAS3?

I would do an Open Firmware reset the next time you try and boot. If your getting a startup chime it might fix it. After hitting the power button hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. This will put you in the Open Firmware interface. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
Return
>set-defaults
Return
>reset-all
Return

Randy

ricks
11-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Good call Randy.

?Use Dimm First Aid to make sure our RAM is at least 8 NS. 10 NS is not good enough in the B&W. Mostly though I'd say your symptoms are typical of a Bad battery. Either test it 3.3 - 3.7 volts, or replace it.

RIck

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

chrisjean1
11-27-2003, 04:51 PM
thanks so much for all of your advice. this has got to be the best mac tech site of all time. i will pass the word to all mac users i know. apple is going to loose money on their pay for tech service business. i will keep you posted on a fix.