PDA

View Full Version : Folder Size Larger than It Contains

DWesterfeld
11-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Powerbook G3 with Panther installed. I have one folder that is showing the size as 7 GBs but there are only four folders inside totaling about 3 GBs. I need to recover the extra storage, but don't know how.

kaye
11-14-2003, 08:38 AM
DWest,

My guess is that you have an invisible file inside that folder. I don't know what utility works in Panther or OSX for that matter which will reveal that file. Someone else know or can help?

Anyway, be careful what you delete before knowing what that file is for. k

TZ
11-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I would opt for Omni DiskSweeper or Path Finder to easily navigate and find the contents of the folders.

eric
11-14-2003, 11:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My guess is that you have an invisible file inside that folder. I don't know what utility works in Panther or OSX for that matter which will reveal that file. Someone else know or can help?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can use TinkerTool to toggle easily the visibility/invisibility of hidden files in the Finder. Also includes a handy 'Relaunch Finder' button.

You can acheive the same thing with Terminal. Enter the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true

After pressing 'return' key, (force) quit the Finder to see the changes. (Actually, I think the (force) quitting may not be entirely necessary; all new Finder windows will show the invisibles -- any left open while you entered that will not.)

To make the invisibles again, use the above, but use 'false' instead of 'true'.