PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto Bogged Down...

Nelchael
11-02-2003, 06:28 PM
I have about 4000 photos in my iPhoto library and everytime I import new photos or try to move and adjust the library, iPhoto boggs down and it takes about 15-30 secs. to become responsive. My question is, is there anything that I can do to increase the response time for iPhoto? Is the response time dependant on the size of the iPhoto library? I would like to be able to access my pictures with relative speed.

My system configuration is as follows: Dual 1.25Ghz G4/2GB RAM/440GB Total HD Space/OS X 10.3 Panther.

unclemac
11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Thought I read that lots of photos (I would think 4000 might qualify) *would* slow down iPhoto....

Don't have a fix though. I wonder if you can split up your library.... Have you searched Apple support yet?

Charlie Don't Surf!

Nelchael
11-03-2003, 04:41 PM
From the website, they suggest archiving the Library and then deleting any pictures not needed.

But of course they say that iPhoto can hold an unlimited amount of pictures. http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TZ
11-04-2003, 07:14 AM
I don't use iPhoto. I read of too many problems in the early days and can't think why I'd want to. I do have 4.2GB and 24,000 items in my Pictures foldere, I assume that includes folders themselves, any ".DS" and other invisible files. Graphic Converter suits my needs.

My a quad-G5 with dual core, or a 'grid computer' huh? The idea is to sell software that requires more powerful hardware and software, get you to want to upgrade to a "Pro" version in hardware and software. I'm surprised that Apple didn't try to sell you on something like Final Cut Express if you were "out-growing" iMove, something that would do the job better.

Panther's RAID support and disk I/O is much more robust it now seems clear. I keep putting more powerful disk drives in, but I want to wait for mid-2004 for any G5 AND it has to be QUIET. Doesn't seem like 4000 is overly large.

unclemac
11-04-2003, 09:08 AM
I guess it depends on your point of view. For consumer stuff, several thousand pictures seems like alot to me, imagine if one had seveal thousand snaps in a shoebox....

On the other hand, with the ease of digital photagraphy, seveal thousand (maybe 10,000?) pics should be expected for a free consumer app. FWIW, I do use it and really like it, but only about a 1000 pictures on a G4 550. No problems and speed is OK/good.

Sorry TZ, I'm not gonna give you that one: 24,000 is a hell-of-a lot of pictures! http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Did see a rumor somewhere that iPhoto is due for a pretty serious update; maybe they will address the apparent number of files issue, or at least allow one to have multiple active libraries (my first choice).

Charlie Don't Surf!

[This message was edited by unclemac on Tue November 04, 2003 PT at 8:22.]

kingbee
11-05-2003, 11:35 AM
It does seem like iPhoto gets bogged down with lots of pics. I would try and use iPhoto library manager. It seems to work great. You can open smaller libraries.

Cool