PDA

View Full Version : Norton System Works and OS X 2.8

FuzzyD
10-28-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm running OS X 2.8 on my Dual 1gig mirrored power mac. I'm trying to run Norton Utilities from my Systemworks 2.0 CD. The CD boots up to 9.2 as normal but then when I go to use Disk Doctor none of my internal drives are recognized. Anyone have a reason for why this is. I tried to find missing drives and the only thing that shows up is the CD. Is there compatibility issues or permission issues?

Please help. Thanks.

kaye
10-29-2003, 08:27 AM
What version of Disk Doctor is on that CD? And that CD won't boot X? k

TZ
10-29-2003, 08:53 AM
I think you'll need NSW 3.0. If any of the drives are Apple RAID or SoftRAID 3, or if they lack OS 9 drivers, they won't show.

have to 'assume' you're talking ATA rather than SCSI, which could be another problem.

I'm in favor of Disk warrior, then Norton, and to not install Norton anyway. And none of the 3rd party utilities seem that necessary except maybe DW. Drive10 works, too, but none of them work under 10.3 (not that you're using it, 10.2.8 should be fine).

I would not want to 'fall behinid' in any disk repair utility if you must, and I think NDD 8 has a 6.05 version for OS 9, while NDD 7 has 6.03 (confusing huh?).

Are the drives on ATA/100 bus? that could be another reason, as OS 9.2 doesn't 'understand' or talk to ATA/100 (but does see ATA/100/133 controllers such as Sonnet Tempo, Acard, etc.

Does that help? http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

FuzzyD
10-29-2003, 09:44 AM
I've used this CD before but now it is not coming up. I've used it on earlier versions of OS X and this Norton Systemworks is for OS X and 9. Finally, I have Disk Warrior which I used to success. With Norton I want to defrag my hard drive.

Thanks

TZ
10-29-2003, 09:57 AM
If you need to do video editing, use a scratch disk you can erase. If you think OS X volume needs just "maintenance" as optimizing etc, I think it is safer AND faster to backup, erase, restore. I use CCC to clone to a new drive, voila! I have the old drive now as "backup" and an optimized drive.

Watch out for Panther and FireWire, but usually a FireWire drive for running utilities, for backup, works well. I almost never use a CD, besides the CD won't have the most current version. And there are changes going on with OS X regularly.

Also, keep your volumes 50% free. OS X can need a lot of free space and especially if you burn DVDs. Panther maybe even more so.

Disk drives keep improving their performance. I tend to replace drives ~ every 2 yrs.