PDA

View Full Version : display replacement from 13.3" to 14.1" on a PB Wallstreet G3 250: troubles w/ OS X 10.2 upgrade

brunus
10-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi,
I have 2 PB G3 wallstreet: a 233 Mhz 14.1" and a 250 Mhz 13.3". I've switched the displays and when I try to install the upgrade from OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2 on the 250 the istallation process always fails when installing the essential software: it freezes or the display goes suddendly black or even blurrs slowly, untill it becomes completely gray. I wonder if the installer hangs when recongnizes the 250 logic board and expects a 13.3" display video card and finds a 14.1 instead.
It happens even if I perform a clean 10.2 installation directly.
Anyone has any clue? Is there any workaround?
thank you

Paolo

Imagination is better than
knowledge

kaye
10-29-2003, 08:44 AM
Paolo,

Man I don't have a clue and definitely don't recall anyone doing this switch with OSX installed on the Gurus forums. Hopefully someone will check in. Just letting you know that you are not being ignored.

About the only thing I can think of is a PRAM and NVRAM reset. Someone should be along to help with that if you are not familiar with the procedure and there are definitely other things in X to try such as OpenFirmware reset? I won't be back until this evening. k

TZ
10-29-2003, 09:08 AM
It could be 'falling asleep' 20 minutes into the install. RAM (quality, and quantity) is always an issue. This is an "update CD" rather than full install for 10.2?

Also, I assume there is the 8GB volume issue, and having enough space.
Are they both " old world ROM " machines? If so, and if movWing, I wonder if, say, using Carbon Copy Cloner, you might use the File menu "Bless OldWorld Volume" before moving.

Does it work if you move it back? Probably a pain to exchange internal hdds.

I doubt an Open Firmware reset would help.