PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1gig Power Mac Mirrored - Locking and Whirling Spike

FuzzyD
10-26-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm here with my computer and it is locking up which it hasn't done before. The drive though is making a spiking repeating sound which is as grating as it ominous. It forces me to shut down by holding the power button. I did some backing up and then command "s" where I typed "fsck" to check configuration and then after more problems I followed the process of reseting the motherboard.

Does anyone else have advice. It seems that other are having this problem.

Thank you

ricks
10-26-2003, 11:01 PM
?I really don't like drive sounds like that, usually a sign of head thrashing from a totally thrashed index.

?My best recommendation is to run Disk Warrior on that drive, see if you can fix that. Disk Warrior from www.alsoft.com (http://www.alsoft.com)

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

unclemac
10-27-2003, 09:49 AM
A really bad sign when HDs make nasty noises... http://forums.macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If it is trashed, and there is data on it you want to recover, you may be able to get it to run a bit longer, but the odds are against it. I have had a little success - like 1 or 2 out of 10 - getting data off of noisy drives that were failing.

You might try booting to a different drive; the noisy one might mount and have some data available even, if it won't boot. If you need to buy a new drive, you might as well try this as you will have a "spare" at that point anyway.

You might try holding the drive at a different angle (like perpendicular to how it normally sits); With one, we had to hold it just so, but after a while it would heat up, and stop playing nice....so I put it in the refrigerator for a few hours, and once it was nice and cool, we hooked it up held it at the right angle and were able to grab some data before it got too warm... Fun stuff.

To try any of the this you have to be able to have the Mac open, and the drive connected but free while running. Be Careful!! Dangerous for both you and your Mac!! If you are not comfortable with the inards of your Mac, then it's not worth the risk.

Good luck.

Charlie Don't Surf!

[This message was edited by unclemac on Mon October 27, 2003 PT at 17:55.]