PDA

View Full Version : Password Problem -- You're My Last Resort!

astonh
09-02-2003, 02:41 PM
We have an old PowerMac G3 Desktop (beige G3) that is asking for computer owner's password upon startup. This person does not know what the password was for this system.

Thus far, I have performed the below mentioned functions in an effort to get the machine at least where I can access the Control Panel and turn off Multiple Users. Alas, I have been unsuccessful in my endeavors. PLEASE, if anyone can tell me how to get this computer where I can use it your assistance and expertise would be so GREATLY appreciated. I'm going crazy working on this thing.

--Restarted with Extensions Off
--Attempted to restart from a OS disk (did it once holding down the Option key and another time holding down the C key during startup and another time not doing anything)
--Reset Motherboard

I thought that there was something else, but my brain is toast at the moment.

Again, any assistance in how to bypass this stupid password/login so I can turn off the multiple user would be very appreciated.

Respectfully,
HP

unclemac
09-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Assuming you are talking OS 9 or older, as I recall one could start with extensions off, trash the multiple user control panel/extension/preference (I can't remember which exactly...).

If you still get a login (can't get to the desktop) window with extensions off, and you can't boot to CD, either my memory is way off, or perhaps this is not Apple's multiple users, and is actually a third party security solution that is more robust... Possible?

I do know it is possible to disable booting to CD, single-user mode, etc. on OS 10 to prevent resetting passwords, but I am only guessing such things were possible in 9.

Charlie Don't Surf!

TZ
09-02-2003, 04:41 PM
... and it could be a password protected hard drive, using Silverlining or another utility, to prevent access, in which case you might have to reformat the drive.

If it is Openfirmware passwd protected, you can, just ask Apple Google (Knowledge Base).

unclemac
09-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Hey TZ,

I am drawing a blank; if one cannot boot to CD (assuming that the CDROM and HD are password protected), how would you go about formatting? From a second HD somehow... Or throw it in a PC and Fdisk?
http://www.macgurus.com/images/question.gif

Charlie Don't Surf!

astonh
09-03-2003, 07:08 AM
I'll check into some of the possibilities that you have all mentioned. Your very quick response to my crisis is very appreciated. Hope you all have a great day!

Garrett_A
09-03-2003, 08:02 AM
A common password used by novices is "password"...no kidding. or try no password at all just a blank.

TZ
09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
If it won't boot from CD, then it sounds like its an OpenFirmware password, so you'll have to boot into OF to reset it.

TZ
09-05-2003, 05:56 AM
It all sounds like OpenFirmware password protection:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

Garrett_A
09-30-2003, 10:03 AM
?