PDA

View Full Version : Where's all my hard disc space???

ianreves
09-09-2003, 10:06 AM
My G4 867 DP is supposed to have 60 gigs of hard drive space. However, after about a year of use, I am showing 145 megs available. The main file I have on my hard drive with all my working files and folders in it is only a little over 20 gigs. Other than that I've got pictures and itunes files each a bit over a gig. So where's all my space??? Is a simple defrag in order? (If so, can you recommend specific software?)

I did run the Mac hardware test CD and got a memory error code of "mem_/2/3DIMM1/J22" Can anyone tell me if this may be realted to my missing space delema? The only explaination offered be Mac is to call (& therefore pay) their tech support guys; which I am not opposed to doing if they are the ones who I need to talk to about getting this issue fixed.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

ianreves@hotmail.com

unclemac
09-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Hi ian,

That memory error is refering to a stick of memory...the "DIMM1/J22" is refering to the slot the bad stick is in. If you want to see info that might make it a bit more clear, open Apple System Profiler, and look at the memory section of the System Profile tab. If the memory in question is bad (not sure how reliable the Apple Hardware memory test is), you will want to pull it out and replace it with some good quality memory. Crucial.com is always a good choice.

I can't imagine that the bad memory has anything to do with your drive being full... Are you running OS 9 or 10?

Charlie Don't Surf!

ianreves
09-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I am running OSX 10.2.6.

Thanks!

TZ
09-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Anytime you use more than 85% of disk space (ie, if you only have 10GB free) you are already running into the limitations of hfs exteneded. A corrupt directory file is highly probably and likely.

Backup, run Disk Warrior or Drive 10, both are good and reliable (DW3 does have some problems with background processes that need to be killed, or - don't quit DW and just go straight to a restart and an fsck on restart).

OS X can use a couple GB of disk space that isn't reported, so even if you have 2GB of space, even that is more than is available). I would erase and restore as soon as possible.

Most likely the drive isn't reporting accurate free space or there wouldn't even be room for the directory to be written out to disk along with other deferred writes when you shutdown or restart. Way too low.

unclemac
09-09-2003, 10:18 PM
TZ has you covered.

If it were me, I would do two things:

?ĢBuy Disc Warrior, A "must have" for any Mac OS

?ĢBuy a new HD. Use your current drive for backing up important data, as well as a second drive to boot to for maintanence/troubleshooting, etc.

I would be surprised if you could get a drive that full without seeing other problems first... Are you sure it's really that full? Have you tried checking the size of folders in the root directory to see if one or more is unexpectedly large? You might be able to verify if the drive is really that full, or find the offending files....

No matter what, you need a way to backup and clean house, and keep backups current. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Charlie Don't Surf!

9500MAN
09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
this is also a great utility for helping with cleaning cache files

System Optimizer X (http://www.mkd.cc)

tfrogh
09-16-2003, 11:33 AM
I had this happen recently on a Graphite G4-450DP here at work. The machine had a 3GB HD, but no free space. If you added up all of the Users folders, you only got about 10GB. Where was the other 18GB??? I ended up backing up her data and doing a reinstall. None of the utilities could help.

Tom

Bozocity
09-25-2003, 10:21 PM
If you are running any kind of trash cashing software and have the maximum size of the cache set too high, you can fill your drive with invisible files that you thought you had deleted. I did that to myself once in the past under Mac OS 9 using TechTool Pro's trash cache feature.

Trash cashing software hides deleted files without actually deleting them, so you can undelete them easily. Mac OS does not do this by itself. You would have to have installed a third-party program.