PDA

View Full Version : "Clicking" HD????

butch
09-12-2003, 07:04 AM
A couple of weeks ago the 10gb HD on my G4/350 (circa 1999) began making the same clicking nose it makes when waking up from sleep mode. It hesitates momentarily when doing this, but otherwise hasn't (yet) caused any particular problems.

I've had a couple of people tell me the drive is about to bite it. I'm wondering if that's the consensus here.

The drive is a 10gb ATA66, but if I need to replace it, can I use a current ATA100 drive in its place?

Also, if I have to replace it, what's the safest way to do it so I don't go dead in the water for a month?

Thanks y'all!

Butch

jrh@pemtel.net

bif
09-12-2003, 10:58 AM
It's funny but, my G4/500 just started with the clicking noise. I had added a airport card and after closing it up and restarting, it began to click. It doesn't do it every time I boot, but I got worried and annoyed and unplugged the two HDs I have on a PCI ATA card. The clicking stopped so I am guessing it was one of these and will trouble shoot which later.
Anyway, I would get a new drive immediately and back up your data to it. No sense taking chances and HD are so cheap now - relatively speaking. Just go to a reliable site like Other World Computing or NewEgg and match up your machine to a HD you want.

ricks
09-12-2003, 12:01 PM
??bif gives good advice. Backing up to another drive would be necessary no matter what you do next. Unless of course you do nat care about the data on that drive?

??Next is Disk Warrior. www.alsoft.com (http://www.alsoft.com) Disk Warrior is the very best drive utility there is. Should be a part of every Mac owners toolkit. It is possible that your drive has index errors that are causing the clicks, DW should be able to fix that. DO a backup of course before running major maintenance.

??Best of luck to you. A new drive is cheap enough today that getting one just for a backup is well worth the expense.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

butch
09-12-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm told that although my G4 was built with an ATA66 drive I can use an ATA100 with no problem. Is that, in fact, the case? Don't want to spend bucks on a drive I can't use.

Thanks for the info!

Butch

ricks
09-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Butch,

?Any ATA drive will work. All ATA133, ATA100 and ATA66 drives are compatible with all ATA66, ATA100 and ATA133 buses. I like Seagate Barracudas for quiet reliability but the Western Digital WDxx00JB drives are the hottest performers.

?When you install it make it the Slave drive and put it right on top of your current drive. You need to check the jumper setting on the current drive to make sure it is set to Master. Some drives have a Single jumper setting for when no slave is present on the bus and those drives need to be switched.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?