08-20-2003, 07:54 AM
I have a hard drive here that's just
taken a nose dive. It 'pinged' a couple
of times and then crashed.

Upon restart I just got the flashing
system folder/? icon. The system CD will
not even recognize it to reformat it.
Disk Warrior won't see it, and neither
will hooking it as a slave to my G4 help.

It is a Quantum Fireball EX 6GB, from a
B/W G3 300.

Is this now an unretrievable piece of hardware?

Thanks.
-Vincent

ricks
08-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Vincent,

?Is it spinning up?

? Does Apple System Profiler see it?

?Other than that I don't see where you go. Try Disk Warrior multiple times and make sure you have a second drive installed if you are attempting to recover data from it. If it isn't seen by anything then you have the proverbial inert object, basically a shiny rock. Hope the data was backed up.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

TZ
08-20-2003, 09:32 AM
it's 4 yrs old. let it lie in peace - and get something that has some kick! to it, like the IBM 180GXP 120GB at OWC for $1/GB, or at Googlegear.com or www.hypermicro.com (http://www.hypermicro.com) as well as the WD Caviar SE. They all give new life to any system, low on cpu usage, much much higher I/O.

...once you get any files off it if they aren't already backed up and needed.

If DW won't, give Norton a shot. usually if you boot from or with DW extension, bypass trying to mount the drive, then try to access the drive after DW app is running... and still can't, well, 4 yrs is 2x as long as expected.

VTA
08-20-2003, 09:38 AM
No, the hard drive is not spinning up and
Apple System Profiler does not see it.

With Disk Warrior, it's just not there.
The only thing that shows is the Disk
Warrior CD itself.

Thanks for the reply...

As an aside, I'm glad it was you who
responded. The last time you helped me,
(my machine has been perfect since),
I asked for your info so I can send you
something for helping me. Of course,
like a schmuk, in reformatting that
drive I lost that info.

I do really appreciate you helping me
make an impossible machine rock solid.
Mail me your info @ vta84@hotmail.com.
I owe you a dinner or something.
Thanks again.
-Vincent

VTA
08-20-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure I'm following you.
I have started up from the DW CD, to no avail.

The drive is from a co-workers machine and
it would be great if the work from yesterday
can be recovered.

I'm just unsure if it is a HARDWARE problem,
which of course if it is, I can't fix it.
Thanks.
-Vincent

TZ
08-20-2003, 10:39 AM
There is an option to hold down "D" on startup to bypass mounting hard drives. Seriously, those old drives have out-lived their useful life. 11MB/s was all they delivered, small cache, 5400 rpm, very old (and slow) technology. Any drive made in the last year should be a welcome improvement.

Rick has said, "its not when, only if" a drive will fail and you'll need a backup (or two). Just part of using computers.

If they were paying you for even two hours of troubleshooting, it'd be cheaper to just bite the bullet and put even a nice small 40GB drive in there.

ricks
08-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey Vince,

?Don't worry about it http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I do this cause I want to. It's fun and I learn more than anyone in the process.

?If that drive isn't spinning then it is truly on the dead side. The only thing I can think of is to set the drive on a piece of cardboard and hook up the cables from your computer, the longer the cables the better. Fire up the computer and immediately give the drive a hard twist and rap with your hand. Might get it to spin up. Try not to touch the PCB. Immediately grab the data off of it and shut down for the wake. (for the drive of course http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

Rick

VTA
08-20-2003, 12:10 PM
I haven't had any luck with reviving the drive.
Are there services that could ressurect it for
the data, or is it just a waste of time and
money to try?

Thanks again.
-Vincent

ricks
08-20-2003, 12:25 PM
?Drive Savers and other recovery shops can take a drive apart and 'breadboard' the platters on their own equipment. This is very labor intensive, and talented highly paid technicians at that, expect to pay in the $2500 to $3500 dollar range. And no guarantees, if the heads hit the platter you drive is toast even for them, and it still costs a bunch to determine that.

Rick

VTA
08-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Rick.
It sounds like I'm lucky to have gotten
as much out of it as I did.
Too bad about the work on the drive...

Thanks again.
-Vincent

ricks
08-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Vince,

?The cookie crumbles sometimes. I've always hated data loss, inevitable though. At least, like you said, you had a bunch backed up. The other bad part is that the work on it ha to be redone, nothin worse than doin something over again.

?Hope to see you around again, better circumstances next time, huh?

Rick