PDA

View Full Version : Please Help-Intermittent Crashes/Freezes on Blue & White

BSetzer
08-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Machine Specs as best as I can remember:
OS 9.2.2
1024MB RAM (2 are PC133 7.5ns & 2 are PC100 8 ns)
OWC G4 450 Upgrade (was a G3-400)
OEM Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI Card
Initio Miles UW SCSI Card (Rev. F)
1 IBM 9 Gig Intenal, 1 Quantum Atlas 9 Gig Internal, 1 Internal Pioneer A105 DVD/CDRW, 1 External 40 Gig Firewire, 1 External Quantum 18 Gig, 1 External Quantum 9 Gig, 1 External Firewire Buslink CDRW speed??

This is a problem that has cropped up in the last 3 weeks. I will be working in Photoshop 5.5 or 6 or even 7 or in Quark or just trying to print and the application (usually Photoshop quits or freezes with a Type 3 error code mostly.

I have tried Zapping P-RAM, Rebuilding Desktop, reinstalling System, checked and even switched the way the external SCSI drives are connected - all are terminated properly and I still get these intermittent crashes/freezes. It has cost me a lot of valuable time on a few recent Freelance projects almost missed a deadline.

Please anyone with ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

Barry

TZ
08-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Barry,

Welcome on board!

1024MB RAM (2 are PC133 7.5ns & 2 are PC100 8 ns)

Even if DIMM First Aid says "okay" for all the RAM, the B&W has trouble with a mixture of RAM that don't have the same SPD codes which control CAS Latency for one thing. Yosemite's memory controller can't "read" the SPD and doesn't know some is 7.5 ns and others are 8.0 ns. Jaguar is a great test for finding "BAD RAM."

If any came from OWC, I'd try using Crucial; or, using just one type, PC100 should be fine.

OWC G4 450 Upgrade (was a G3-400)

Bring it back down to 400 while you try to find out whose the culprit at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OEM Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI Card
Initio Miles UW SCSI Card (Rev. F)
1 IBM 9 Gig Intenal, 1 Quantum Atlas 9 Gig Internal, 1 Internal Pioneer A105 DVD/CDRW, 1 External 40 Gig Firewire, 1 External Quantum 18 Gig, 1 External Quantum 9 Gig, 1 External Firewire Buslink CDRW speed?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whose on what here? Why not use 2906 say for the slow FastSCSI (10MB/s is slow but that's its name). I assume you've isolated the Ultra2 wide drives from the narrow stuff.

I'd look into getting some larger, faster drives. Either SCSI or ATA or SATA. A single 36GB 10K drive that will outperform your B&W but still be nice is $169 (Seagate, IBM, Maxtor). Would also deliver a full 100% improvement - maybe - ultra2 is limited to 40MB/s writes; the B&W is limited to 53MB/s.

For a similar investment, you could run an 80GB Maxtor (or other brand), and ACard or SIIG controller and get really good performance. Better than your two Ultra2 cards will.

FireWire: you can (or will) end up with a fried port eventually if you don't take precautions. Check out the LONG thread on Apple's Blue G3 forum. Granite Digital has a hub, and often you are better off with a PCI FW card.

This is a problem that has cropped up in the last 3 weeks. I will be working in Photoshop 5.5 or 6 or even 7 or in Quark or just trying to print and the application (usually Photoshop quits or freezes with a Type 3 error code mostly.

What happened then? did you add or change anything?

I have tried Zapping P-RAM, Rebuilding Desktop, reinstalling System, checked and even switched the way the external SCSI drives are connected - all are terminated properly and I still get these intermittent crashes/freezes. It has cost me a lot of valuable time on a few recent Freelance projects almost missed a deadline.

Main troubleshooting approach I'd use:

Backup. Reinitialize. Run Disk Warrior. Restore files and make sure there aren't any errors. If errors, initialize again with Drive Setup, then run the Test Function (can be run in the background and stopped at any time, unlike LLF).

Beware of using Norton for anything other than "minor" repairs. you can trust Disk Warrior. I doubt any of your problems are in the desktop or pram or nvram, but could be in the Directory of the drive, which Disk Warrior would address. But always backup beforehand, especially when you have an unstable system.

You could have a corrupt system file. Conflict Catcher 9 or ResEdit would point that out. Or some corrupt extension or preference(s). Or files.

Without a tester, or diagnostic terminator, it is hard to know if a cable or chain is operating fully and properly or if a drive is having trouble, or has too many bad blocks, excessive retries to read and write to a sector.

Let us know how it goes!

BSetzer
08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
TZ,

Thanks for the quick response!! I have already Run Disk First Aid & Diskwarrior and they didn't find any errors so I am going to try replacing the 2 PC100 8NS RAM sticks with 2 PC133 7.5NS so that ALL the memory is the same speed. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to start. I can always sell the PC100 on E-Bay. I'll let you know if it helps.

Once again thanks!! And after reading the forums for quite a long time it's good to be a part of them.

Barry

TZ
08-15-2003, 05:20 PM
You're welcome.

Now you'll be one step closer. I wouldn't rule out other factors. No disk utility is perfect, though DW was 99.99% in what it did, it didn't repair. And there can be hidden file structure issues - which is why optimizing can cause trouble even thought DW/Norton/DFA give a "clean bill of health," at best, use them to get your backup current.

B&W rev 1's have a lot of issues with the IDE controller causing data corruption that necessitates either SCSI or PCI IDE solution, too.
Check out the G3*Zone @ www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) too. (There is more there than I could EVER in one lifetime read and digest!)

TZ

BSetzer
08-18-2003, 09:33 AM
I bought 2 256MB chips Friday and installed them In initial rigorous testing over the weekend NO crashed!!! I think (hope) that bad or mismatched RAM was culprit.

Thanks for the help!!

Barry

ricks
08-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Hey,

?That's pretty good work from TZ, batting a thousand. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

?And Barry, welcome to the forum! Glad to see you found something to post about after reading it so long. Make yourself at home always.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?