PDA

View Full Version : Dead 6500??

kplarsen2
08-12-2003, 09:45 PM
I have a 6500/275 which I have never had a problem with since day 1. I bought a new maxtor 30 gb hard drive to replace the existing drive, as I was fast running out of space.

I removed the existing drive, and installed the new drive and the mac would not work any more. It would not read a cd or a floppy, and no display either. I put back the original drive, and the same thing.

I figured that it might be the battery, so I got a new one. No change. I tried the CUDA switch, no change. I removed the battery for several hours, no change.

I know I did not connect anything wrong, as I have been fixing/upgrading Macs for years with no problems like this. This is the first one that has me completely stumped.

If any one has any ideas on what could be the problem, I'd be most greatfull as I need to get this Mac working again.

rwm
08-13-2003, 07:39 AM
What does it do when you power up/on?

Any lights, fans, a HD spinning, chime anything. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

kplarsen2
08-13-2003, 09:08 AM
When I power it up it appears to go through the motions of booting up, normal chime sounds, HD light active, etc, but as the screen displays no video I do not know if it is hanging somewhere during the boot cycle or just not even booting.

I find it hard to believe that the video card could die at just that moment but I guess its possible. I've substituted other working monitors, ram, and pulled all extra cards so that it is in its most basic configuration hoping that I could eliminate some possible causes.

rwm
08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Can you zap the PRAM or reset Open Firmware on a 6500?

Try this...

Zap the PRAM. On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and keep holding them for about 3-4 more "bongs/chimes".

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
set-defaults -Hit Return
reset-all -Hit Return

Randy

[This message was edited by rwm on Wed August 13, 2003 PT at 10:02.]

rwm
08-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Check this page 6400 Zone (http://www.zone6400.com/index.html) it might provide some info. Check he forum page.

Search the apple.com site for similar problems.

[This message was edited by rwm on Wed August 13, 2003 PT at 10:07.]

rwm
08-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Have you tried the old hard drive again? and Are you running off a PCI video card or the stock video?

dswan
08-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Is the ID set correctly on the new drive, and how about termination?
Jumpers usually have to be configured.
Can't share the same scsi address as the cd ROM.
Depending where it's placed on your internal chain, you'll have to make sure the jumpers are set properly.
Go over the jumper configuration, check and double check.
Sometimes the jumper clips are on the drive when you get it, sometimes you'll have to use the ones from your old drive or just pick up some new ones.

dave

kplarsen2
08-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks to all for your replys.

I will answer all your questions, not necessarily in order and I hope I don't foget any

1. I am using the stock built in video and do not have a pci video card to try in its place. I've thought that possibly the video died but not sure just yet. Seems starnge that it was fine one minute and then nothing the next.

2. The drive is an ide drive in the 6500. I installed the new drive as the only drive in thje 6500 and set it as master. Putting the original drive back does not work either although the drive is good as I can boot it in another mac.

3. I have zapped the PRAM many times, reset the CUDA switch, removed the battery, etc. I have not tried resetting the NVRAM, as I have no video and therefore cannot see the menu selections.

It appears that all ram is good as it chimes correctly. The original disk flashes its light as the "boot up" is attemted, but as I have no video I do not know if it has completed booting or if it is hanging somewhere mid boot.

Thanks for you answers so far, but its still dead.