PDA

View Full Version : Black screen on restart - any ideas?

Genius
08-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Hey all,

Well, here I am back at the Gurus' shrine once again.

Any ideas on common fixes for this type of problem - system boots marvelously from scratch, but I get black screen if I restart. When restarting, I can see the lights on the drives doing their things, so I know it's going through the motions of startup, but just not getting it across to the video card (128 TwinTurbo).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
GENE
http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

dswan
08-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Genius, Can you connect your monitor to the standard apple video and see if you still have the same problem?

Or can you start from an emergency disk with the monitor connected to the pci video card?

Is this a new problem that has come up all of a sudden? has it been working fine before this with that card?

Have you added new software or extensions, added anything internally just before this happened?

rwm
08-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Please post your puter type. ie. G3, G4, Upgraded, OS, RAM etc. or any other info about it will be helpful in fixin this.

Randy

Genius
08-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Hi all,

Okay, well here are the details.
The problems started happening after I upgraded the processor.
Initially, the system was a 9500 that I had been running for a while with a Sonnet G3/400, -60ns RAM speed, OS 9.1. PCI slots as follows:
1-2940U2B
2-delta1010lt soundcard
3-empty
4-empty
5-128TwinTurbo Video
6-Mach64 Video

Everything was rock-solid, but the beast needed more torque...So...

I then upgraded to a Maxpowr G3/500, and noticed immediate video conflicts with the Mach64. I removed the Mach64 from the system, and everything seemed to be okay. No hangs or crashes or anything, very stable to this day. But I then noticed the black screen on restart problem, and am trying to figure out what the heck could be causing it.
I updated the TwinTurbo drivers from their website, but it didn't seem to do anything different.

I haven't gone into extensions yet, I wanted to see if there was something obvious I was missing (as is usually the case).

Any suggestions where to start?

Much appreciation as always,
GENE

rwm
08-10-2003, 10:21 AM
I am not real familar with the 6 slot machines. Kaye is great with these besides being "just smart" he works on a one or more all the time.

Did you hold your CUDA button down after switching processors? Reset the OF?

Genius
08-10-2003, 05:51 PM
hey RWM...

Yup, did the CUDA button...but what's the OF? Not familiar with that one.

Thanks,
GENE

TZ
08-11-2003, 03:50 AM
Why not get an updated video card like Radeon 7000?

OpenFirmware reset is another method to clear the device registry tree and clear pram and nvram, get the machine back to "stock" factory.

billbo
08-11-2003, 09:27 AM
I had this very same problem when I tried running the Mach64 and Radeon.

XPostFacto and YDL 2.3 did not like 2 video cards at all.

Somewhere in the video upgrade forum is my thread about a black screen after zapping PRAM.

My fixes where 2-fold.

I either had to
a) have the Mach64 installed (which would then become the default/main screen, or "1" in the Monitor CP) with monitor hooked up

b) move the Radeon into Slot B1 or where your Delta card resides.

Kaye said he never had any problem with this, but I found out by maniacal slot re-arrangements that if you don't have your NEW video card on the first bandit controller bus, then you won't get video, unless you have the original Mach64 (or Twin Turbo, though I think most of the 9500's had the Mach64) plugged in somewhere.

I can't even give any sort of techno-jargon account as to why, but that's my best (under?-) educated guess.

Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

rwm
08-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
Hit Return
set-defaults
Hit Return
reset-all

TZ - Has a nice FAQ/Link page here about OF.