PDA

View Full Version : Strange modem behavior in G4 Yikes

kjay
08-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Hello all,

I'm confronted with a G4 Yikes displaying some odd modem behavior. The machine has a fresh load of 10.2.6 with no extra hacks.

Problem... modem worked fine initially. Using latest AOL software for X. Over the course of a week or so it has been able to dial out less and less. Now, nothing. All it does is after initializing modem, you hear the click then 4 beeps that sound like the busy tone and nothing else. Tried for an hour last night.

Verified the phone jack with a phone, rebooted, checked connections, different phone cord, etc. All to no avail.

Any way to check modem thru software (I/he does not own techtool)? I'm thinking a dead modem but figured i'd ask.

PowerMacG4 Yikes
10.2.6 w/ 1GB ram
Radeon 7000 PCI
Maxtor 30GB(M) + OEM 10GB(S)

thanx
kj

TZ
08-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Inspect what startupitems were added.
Clear the cache folders.
Repair permissions.
boot from another OS X system and run Disk Utility First Aid.
There are two modem folders, one in /Library and another in /System/Library.
Compare to versions prior backup of your system before installing AOL.
Make sure you have the modem scripts you need. (just a guess).
reset nvram via OpenFirmware
Remove preference(s) for Networking, for AOL, etc.
Create new preferences.
Create a new account.
Use an ISP other than AOL if possible.
Go DSL, or cable, you'll free up your phone line and enjoy being able to download software updates with ease.
Downgrade to the prior AOL software.

* Anytime you install software, run DU's Repair Permissions.

Keep a clean backup of your system.

General advice: a modem/phone line not on a line/modem protector will get hit and get fried eventually. MacIntouch has been running a special reader report last week on lightning and protection equipment.

unclemac
08-06-2003, 11:39 AM
TZ has you covered well, but just for grins, have you checked the log in Internet Connect? When I was having a bit of trouble with my ISP, it was some help to see what was (and wasn't) going on.

As I recall, the log can be found under "Window" on the toolbar for Internet Connect...

FWIW, I saw 4 macs get their ethernet ports cooked by a lightning strike - connected to DSL via a rounter without any load/spike protection.

Totally killed the PCs at the business next door. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charlie Don't Surf!

kjay
08-07-2003, 07:28 AM
all good info,

I also didn't even think to try dialing out with internet connect or trying the backup OS on the slave drive! doh!

must have been all those BV&Cokes he bribed me with to get me over there at 10pm!

thanx
kj