PDA

View Full Version : monitor hardware problem

dna
06-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Hello,

I have a B&W G3 with the matching 17" monitor. I've had it for 4 years and it's really sharp and the resolution goes up to 1280, so I like it.

Over the last 4 months, periodically the monitor has made a snapping sound (sounds like the same sound when you change resolutions) and the image on screen gets about an inch larger such that part of the desktop is off the screen, then it shrinks back to normal size. This would happen once every couple of weeks. Four days ago, I finished working on my computer and pressed the power button on the monitor (the green or amber one) which I usually do intending to save power and monitor life. I dont sleep my computer ever. When I pressed the power button several hours later to turn the monitor back on, the power button turned green but no image was displayed. I could still turn off the computer with the keyboard power button and enter. So, I went to turn it back on and it boots up, monitor power button going from amber to green and making hard drive noises (normal boot up/disc access sounds) but again no image, just black. I left it in that state for several hours and came back and the monitor was on. I started doing work and it was doing the snapping thing mentioned above, but every 5 seconds. So I turned the monitor off and swapped in another monitor and it works fine.

What is wrong with my monitor and how much will it cost? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

Dna

TZ
06-28-2003, 02:52 PM
...it would cost more than a new 19". I was using ViewSonic G90f ($250) after abandoning my 2nd ColorSync - bought one to match my B*W - and now use 18" LCD ($540) with 1280x1024.

During startup there is an AV nvram reset:

Command + Option + AV

that you hold down midway in startup under OS 9 that resets the monitor's nvram.

however, I think it is probably more serious than that.

just curious
08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
would that key combo work with any display or system or just with apple displays?