PDA

View Full Version : Slotloading iMac trashed after OSX.2 install

settingsun
06-21-2003, 02:42 AM
I recently installed OSX.2 on a slot loading iMac. However, I did not first of all update the firmware! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif All went well until it restarted. For some reason the screen was very dark, barely readable, but it seemed to be booting up okay. However on restart, it now just chimes and then shuts itself down abotu a minute later. I have tried removing battery, zapping pram, pressing MB reset switch, all to no avail.

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be because of the install, or perhaps just coincidence, and video card has gone? Any suggestions?

pixelburn
06-30-2003, 07:22 AM
I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me. Upgraded 9.1 to 10.2 then upgraded to 10.2.6 (combo) without doing the firmware upgrade (ouch). Starts, then shuts down, just like your's. I have yet to find any info other than something on the Apple support site that said when the computer doesn't find a drive at id 0 it shuts down. Sigh.

unclemac
06-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Hi guys.

How about updating the firmware?

I have done the same thing a couple times on various slot loaders (although I did not get a dim screen...usually just won't boot/unstable), and it was easiest to just initialize the drive and reinstall 9, update firmware, and install 10 again.

At least you could rule out firmware, and see what happens with 9. If the screen stays dim, I would guess you are out of luck.

FWIW, if this is a 350 or about the same age (Oct. 99 to July 200), it may in fact be a video failure; this link gives some details of what it *might* turn out to be:

imac startup problem (http://www.macgurus.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=40160367&f=55360809&m=75960319&r=85960319#85960319)

Charlie Don't Surf!

pixelburn
06-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi unclemac,
On start the powerlight comes on, computer chimes, drive spins, then goes quiet, and powers down, all within half a minute. It doesn't make a difference if it has the os9.2 or os10.2 CD disk in the slot, with or without the c button held down. Also, if you try and start it again, nothing happens. You need to pull the plug first. I'd love to find some way to boot it if its just a drive problem but based on other peoples posts it sounds like I have fried the motherboard. Do you have any insights?

Buickguy
06-30-2003, 01:01 PM
I picked up an iMac that had the same symptoms from the same cause. It turned out to be a dead logic board. I don't know why the logicboard died as a result of the software upgrade attempt, but a used logic board fom ebay solved the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by settingsun:
I recently installed OSX.2 on a slot loading iMac. However, I did not first of all update the firmware! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif All went well until it restarted. For some reason the screen was very dark, barely readable, but it seemed to be booting up okay. However on restart, it now just chimes and then shuts itself down abotu a minute later. I have tried removing battery, zapping pram, pressing MB reset switch, all to no avail.

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be because of the install, or perhaps just coincidence, and video card has gone? Any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unclemac
06-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Wish I could be of more help.

Have seen about a 6-10 of these in the last couple years at work, but just experience with the problem, not with a fix. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif All the failures I have seen myself had nothing to do with upgrading to 10, much less upgrading at all, so don't beat yourself up too much about a missed FW update. Is OS 10 enough to push a dying imac over ther edge???

In the work world, with a working (older) imac worth about 300 bucks, it is more cost effective for us to scrap 'em out for cd ROMs, monitors, etc. than to spend the time and money to diagnose/replace MBs or P/A/Vs on a dead one. Home users are wiling to spend a bunch more blood sweat and tears to revive their trusty lil guy, and who doesn't want a serious project? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Spreading an exploded imac across the kitchen table, diagnosing, and getting it all put back together and singing along again is a Great feeling!

What else is there to check before you go after components? Try an open firmware reset?

When it's time to die, it's time die I guess. I used to keep track of a couple sources (they seem to come and go) for imac parts; I can try to dig 'em up if anybody wants.

Charlie Don't Surf!

pixelburn
07-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Unclemac,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. It was actually my daughter's iMac DV that I fried. I think it must have been about 4-5 years old. Yesterday we went out and picked up an eMac replacement. We miss the fruit colors. White is cool but bland. Btw. The eMac is pretty impressive for an $800 machine.
Thanks again!

unclemac
07-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Yeah, emacs are pretty sweet for the price. Nice upgrade from an imac. Quiet, sleek, and pretty snappy.

If you don't have any interest is scraping out your imac, I am sure there are folks who would be. Even with a dead MB, there are a handful of components that are of value/use to others.

I like to think of 'em as organ donors; they died so that others may live http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Charlie Don't Surf!

settingsun
07-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks to all who replied. This has really helped in terms of this machine, but also one other "mystery" machine from last year, and to keep my eye out for similar probs. I
am not sure if this one has video out, but I'll have a look and see. But in any case, the owner seems to have disappeared for the time being. I really appreciate all the candour and info. I'll definfitely be checking in from time to time.

Warm regards,

Timothy