PDA

View Full Version : Startup Manager Freezes

hrubin1000
07-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Holding Option on startup brings up the Startup Manager which should allow me to choose which volume or network image to boot from. After displaying my 2 internal drives (and not my 2 Firewire bootable drives), the display freezes and doesn't allow any selection thus forcing a hard restart. Running OS 10.2.6 on a 1GHZ G4 with 1 MB RAM

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

TZ
07-29-2003, 07:16 AM
fsck
Safe Boot mode
Disk Warrior - repair the boot blocks if necessary, rebless the system.
Repair Permissions
Zap PRAM
reset Open Firmware

Startup holding down "command + option + OF" then enter the following 3 commands:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

Boot from a CD for now. OS 9, because you can "do" more from there. Then boot into your backup emergency OS X 10.2.6 system volume.

Use Cocktail 2.2 to clear out temp files and caches.

What did you last do, install, etc?

hrubin1000
07-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Resetting both PRAM and NVRAM doesn't help.Ran DiskWarrior 3 as well as OnyX and MacJanitor without success. Currently I can only select a startup drive (ATA-OS9, ATA-OS X, Firewire-OS X or Firewire-OS 9) using the Startup Drive System Preference panel since the Startup Manager option doesn't work. This is not a serious problem since I can boot any drive without using the Startup Manager however I am curious to find out why this has happened.

TZ
07-30-2003, 05:54 AM
Maybe it is you that sent a comment to MacIntouch recently about this? might want to check the "Mac OS X Special Report" over there.