PDA

View Full Version : my Mac = PC?!?!?!?

jaisunrise
06-15-2003, 01:55 AM
Okay, so about a month ago, i had put the wrong firmware update on, had t go through a bunch of crap to reset it. then i went up from 9.1 to 9.2.2
however, my mac (g4, 400mhz, 384m ram) just crashes left and right. i cannot afford to go up to os x, and get new software.
when i run internet explorer, it crashes often. says error type 2, not enough memory. it will crash when i go to type in a web addy. it will crash when i try to pull up favourites or history. hell, it crashes sometimes, just because it knows it will frustrate me.
i am at a loss as to what to do. and things seem to be getting messed up all around. my norton anti-virus no longer works, says it's missing links, the updater won't work, missing links.
i'm really at a total loss as to what to do to fix this. i've heard people say 9.2.2 is buggy as all hell, and were better off with 9.1 any opinions?
any options as to what to do?? i'm not very tech-savy. i just got a mac because i knew it would never act like a pc. now, i'm stuck with a pc. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TZ
06-15-2003, 03:42 AM
I've never heard of a wrong firmware taking. What exactly did you do? Which firmware? Is your Mac a G4/400 Yikes! or Sawtooth?

Reset Open Firmware
Backup if possible.
Initialize.
Install 9.2.1 then 9.2.2
run DIMM First Aid
Don't use Norton
Invest in Disk Warrior (Alsoft)

You might need to buy some RAM, another hard drive.

9.2.2 is fine. Definitely not buggy. 9.1 was the first OS that had a smooth VM, and smooth operation thanks to yanking out a lot of legacy non-PowerPC code (68K) that had been left in. Some devices and drivers broke, but that's to be expected.

I think booting from the Jaguar CD to initialize and partition might be a good idea if you have it.

Most apps like MSIE need to start with a clean cache, clean internet preference file, and more memory allocated than the very tiny amount set as default when installed.

The Mac newsgroups devoted to MSIE etc use to be full of questions and tips but that's years ago and IE 5.1.6 is probably very solid. Get Info on the app, and set the preferred memory to 40-50MB (45000 would be good starting point).

When a system is that unstable etc it is less trouble or time consuming to just start fresh.

A corrupt system file or out of date driver or damaged boot blocks or directory as well as preferences... and now Norton Antivirus. Latest? how often does it find anything? do you need it? Up to date? It's just that it has never given me trouble in years.

You could also have extensions in your system folder that are conflicting. For which a clean install and use (demo even) of Conflict Catcher 9 would be indispensible.

Your memory needs to be either PC133 7.5 ns or PC100 8 ns and look for any post by Costa or in Memory forum, the thread "Memory FAQ" if DIMM First Aid doesn't show all the RAM as the same and as what it was suppose to be.

If you don't need or like 9.2.2 by all means start over and stay with 9.1 until you can figure out why and update. 9.2 provides better FireWire support, OpenTransport, DHCP, support for later hardware and compatibility with OS X as well as bug fixes.