PDA

View Full Version : Desktop oddness in Jag

kjay
06-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Hello all,

Have a little weirdness in Jag.6. My QS Dually is set up in multiple users, myself, wife, kid. Everything works fine except on my daughters account whenever she logs in the desktop pattern does one of three things... remains what she has chosen (either through iphoto or pref panes), reverts to blue screen, or is her chosen desktop just garbled. Logging out then back in will usually yeild different results.

I've run diskwarrior from OS9 several times and repaired permissions to no avail. Issues are very random.

Possibly a corrupt pref file? Haven't tried trashing it. Assume it is the pref file named "desktop" in user library?

Any suggestions.

Machine very stable except for this.

thanks
kj

thanx
kj

TZ
06-01-2003, 05:00 PM
When you set the file for the desktop, it was probably one that was not in their own ~/ user directory. Try copying the file to ~/Library/Desktop Pictures - you may need to create the folder.

Desktop pictures can oddly retain "hard coding" of a file, even if you later backup or clone a system to another drive, it will continue to try to use the original file path directory, rather than the "relative" path filename, so it could be anywhere. Sort of the way Mozilla retains a pointer to a user profile that should be only your home directory, but could be on another drive etc, irrespective of "User" of the system. One reason I have disliked Netscape (began with 4.x and continues today).

Then look in ~/Cache and delete the desktop cache entries as well as the Preference .plist for desktop.

Try taking a look at Coctail 2.2 also - there are some useful tools in there.

It has nothing to do with permissions or a corrupt directory, though those are good preventative maintenance steps.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Sun June 01, 2003 PT at 18:07.]

ricks
06-01-2003, 05:06 PM
?Maybe Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

kjay
06-05-2003, 07:35 AM
very strange behavior. It seems to be resolved, but the brows raised once or twice getting there.

From my daughters account, ran Cocktail to delete all cache, trashed desktop prefs. All seemed well with her desktop probs. Upon logging into my account now my desktop had issues. Seemed as if the resolution of the desktop picture was different than that of the monitor (picture located in lwr left corner w/3" plain blue bkgrd on top and left side. Then my wifes account started to have problems with her desktop background. Finally went through all 3 accounts and did the exact same steps... clear cache (using cocktail), delete prefs. No go. Finally got frutrated and did OpenFirmware Reset. That cured the problem but the next day my daughter suffered a kernel panic while using iphoto and itunes. Since then no issues. Can't remember the last time I had a kernel panic. ???

Concerning pictures used. Daughter/wife mainly use the desktop feature out of iphoto, they also have their own seperate iphoto libraries. there is a shared folder that all other nonapple pictures reside in and is shared across the accounts.

Only other oddity as a side note... after the 10.2.6 update, my deep sleep prob resurfaced (monitor kicks off, but tower stays at full speed). After a couple of days the machine "settled down" and now sleeps correctly. The sleep thing has always plagued me since day one. Certain versions of 10.1 would be better, some not. Seeminly went away for good with Jag.

Just thought it odd. Almost like the machine gets flustered after a sys update then calms down.

Concerning utilities... can the likes of DiskUtility Repair Permissions, or Cocktail2.2 be run from admin acct and effect all user accts or do they need to be run from within each acct?

thanx
kj

TZ
06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Jaguar Cache Cleaner 1.8.1 is a maintenance utility for Mac OS X that cleans corrupted or stale cache data and offers easy access to numerous Mac OS X maintenance and utility options. The new version no longer limits Deep Cleaning to the logged-in user only and now hooks into the .Mac version of the Virex command line scanner. Jaguar Cache Cleaner is $7.95 for Mac OS X 10.1 and up.

kjay
06-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Well all seems normal.

The only oddity left is during restart, when the white bkgrd/spinning cursor comes up it is always 640x480 instead of the higher res.

Small price to pay I suppose.

thanks for the help Gregory, Ricks

kj

thanx
kj