PDA

View Full Version : Removing HD in PM 6100

LVX
05-19-2003, 04:55 PM
I've run into this problem on at least 3 Power Mac 6100 machines that I've come across lately where I find it virtually impossible to remove the built-in hard disk. The stock drives are secured inside a sled that has a latch which on other model Power Macs allows you to release the disk when you press on it. Not so with the PM 6100 series, or so it's been in my experiece. No matter which way I push or pull on the latches, these drives simply don't want to budge! I've removed &/or replaced all kinds of hard disks in my day, but the ones in the PM 6100 have me stumped. Does anyone have one of these machines who can tell me the trick to getting the HDs out?

lasvegas
05-20-2003, 01:10 AM
If I remember right (I'd have to pull out my 6100 from the garage to be sure though), the 6100 uses the same rail as all of the Performa 6xx and 6xxx machines did. If this is the case, you need to use a flat head screwdriver to lift the tab under the front of the drive to allow it to slide forward and off of the rail.

Hope this helps...

Tony

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person!

LVX
05-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Actually, I was just able to get it out by taking off the metalic cover on the front & sliding it out the front end after pushing down on the lower plastic lever on that end. It worked like a charm! And, yes, it does have the same rail mechanism as the Performa 61xx series, as I happen to own a Performa 6116CD that I was able to remove the HD on using the same means.