PDA

View Full Version : error booting from CD

everc1
04-25-2003, 02:41 PM
When I try to boot off of both my Norton Utilities CD, or my system CD, I get a errors. I get a system error when I boot off of the Norton CD, and when I try to boot off of the system CD that came with the computer it can't locate the CD. It seems to be CD drive related (first hunch)... Any suggestions?

Thanks

TZ
04-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, for starters, type of Mac, which OS (8.6, 9.2, OS X), and what versions of Norton etc you are using. Our fav is Disk Warrior which can boot multiple OS's and much more reliable - can be used in conjunction with Norton also.

Some CDs don't work after a firmware update has changed the computer's "signature."

- G.

everc1
04-25-2003, 05:26 PM
I am using OS 9.2.2 and Norton Utilities 7.0

kaye
04-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Do you have the original MDD model or the FW800 MDD model? Neither will boot the Norton Utilities 7.0 CD. You have to order the 7.0.3 CD from them. Still assuming either of the above models, are you trying to boot from the AppleCare CD? Up until very recently, about a week ago, none of the AppleCare CDs would boot on either of the above machine types.

Someone at Apple finally realized that the CD needed updating for those machines and will issue the correct one if you call AppleCare with such info as your G4 serial number or invoice number. k

everc1
04-30-2003, 02:32 PM
I was not able to boot from even the CD that came with the machine. It is a titanium laptop. I am not sure which model specifically. Do you kow what may be causing this problem?