PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor trouble

leinad
04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
hi

i have a G4 running two monitors;the startup monitor is an applevision and the second monitor is a sony multiscan hg trinitron;my problem is the sony monitor comes on, then it switches itself off ; if i try to switch it back on inmediately it won't even switch on;after i wait a couple of minutes one of two things might happen: 1) it will come on and stay on, but this is not happening much lately;2) it will come on and then switch itself off and very rarely stay on, though it did stay on when this problem started, but now is not staying on;i don't know if this could be a configuration problem or something wrong with the monitor itself;i live in uruguay, and although the situation here is pretty reasonble regarding PCs, there's not much knowledge about macs, so i really appreciate any suggestions as to what can i do to solve this problem;it is driving me really mad 'cause i'm used to dual monitors and could not live any other way;please somebody help me

kind regards
leinad

Doc
04-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Have you changed any of your display preferences? It sounds like the monitor is not receiving a valid signal and so it powers itself off..

Try using the Sony as your startup to ensure it's not the monitor that's the problem - i.e. try it in single monitor mode.

Chris

leinad
04-23-2003, 12:09 PM
hi

thank you very much for your answer chirs;i tell you what i've done:

1) first i tried the sony monitor as the start up monitor in single mode, that is without the appevision;it did not work, and the sony switched itself off as soon as the image was about to come on;
2)i went back to original set up, using the applevision as the start up monitor and the sony as the second monitor;this time it did work;in this mode i checked the following:

colorsync/utility>devices>displays

here i selected the applevision as the default display, (start up monitor),and assigned to it the factory settings which turned out to be applecolorsync 20"?...i don't know if this could be right...

i selected the sony as the VGA monitor,(i don't know if this could be right) and assigned to it the factory settings, which turned out to be VGA also...i'm not sure about this

anyway, i thought this could do the trick 'cause the factory settings for the sony were different before, not VGA, but i don't remember what those settings were before VGA;while i was doing this both monitors worked but it was late and i thought better wait before writing back to you;well, this morning i gave it another test, and it went back to the same problem, the sony switches itself off as soon as i turn it on;i'm beginning to suspect there's a problem with the monitot itself, but before i take it to a repairer here, i would like to know if you might have some other suggestion;you pur me in the right track already but it is annoying me so much that i can't even think straight about it;thank you very much for your help once again

kind regards
leinad