PDA

View Full Version : Copy entire boot drive to CD for future restore

tlooknbill
04-20-2003, 07:44 AM
I've searched the archives on this subject and I've lost the info I saved from this site. So if this subject has been covered, sorry for asking again.

This is what I want to do. After I install all my OS (8.6 or 9.1), my Adobe SW, all the latest updates, drivers for all my peripherals-basically get my HD to a prestine stable unfragmented state-I want to copy this entire drive and save it to CDr or HD partition for future copying back so as to return HD to this prestine state after a reformating and have it operable without corruption or instability. This will also prevent me from having to load a bunch of SW cd's, re-enter in all the registration numbers and go through the reinstall hassle.

I've come across threads similar to this question in the archives but they're mainly about Apple Software Restore, creating a boot disk or just backing up user data files.

I also remember something about hidden files not getting copied by attempting this and that what I'm asking can't be accomplished without problems. Any ideas? Can I use Disk Copy for this? Thanks!

M.Brane
04-20-2003, 11:52 AM
For copying to another volume, simply drag & drop. I always keep a copy of my startup volume on another drive. Just make sure that if you already have a copy of that volume on there that you trash it (the copy) by using the option+empty trash command so you don't have to deal with 100 alert boxes during the copy. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I would be interested in a more efficient way to to CD backups. I've always just drug the folders to the Toast window and burned 'em while I clean the studio or something. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TZ
04-20-2003, 11:53 AM
You don't need to worry too much about hidden files under OS 8/9, the way you do with OS X. Best bet is a backup program, shareware or commercial, Tri-Backup, Synchronize Pro, etc.

Depending on how many files, you want a backup that is larger than what you have or think you need, and probably extra room for an emergency system volume with all your tools.

I use Disk Copy, but then I end up with 2.5GB file volume. Very good way to save everything. The faster your system and disk drives, the better.

One backup is never enough, it means you still have all your eggs in one basket. Better to have one backup that is off line and safe in case - as does and will happen - while restoring or backing up fate lifts its hand.

CDs for precious files, SCSI for speed and RAID and sturdy, ATA for cheap and plentiful, FireWire... if the FW voodoo at Apple is benign that day. Each has its use. I keep a FW backup, an ATA drive "on the shelf" that is there in case an ATA drive fails or 10.2 fails. And then I have my SCSI drives for day to day use and backup.

One backup that is just your original applications etc. two sets that are updated with changes and that you rotate.

And a copy of Disk Warrior. The only thing that really needs to be optimized or such is the directory. That and don't fill a drive beyond 70%, less maybe. And if you need "project" space, then a scratch volume that you erase as needed and so that you can edit on another drive than your input or output. Having a two drive stripped volume for Adobe is very useful.

- G.

tlooknbill
04-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not responding promptly. I've been tackling this issue over at other Mac forums and had to get some sleep. Ah! the weekends!

I've downloaded a view old Macguru archive threads that come close to shedding some details on concerns about doing this. I think Gregory's Disk Copy is the way to go. Here are the threads if anyone is interested:
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000138.html
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000145.html

I guess the drawback to using a CDr is the 700MB limit. I don't need to backup saved data files. I can do that on a separate CDr. I just want an operable, stable duplicate of my working HD with all my updated apps and OS in place. Drag copy it or whatever and I'm back to my original state. Thanks for all your help, here.