PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G3 slow loading of Iinternet Explorer 5.1

robbday
03-31-2003, 08:27 PM
I just acquired a Powerbook G3 Pismo with 400 mhz processor, 512 ram and a Toshiba MK10116GAP 10 gig internal hard drive, OS 9.2.2. I installed IE 5.1 for mac and it takes forever to load and open. I have an old 8600 with a 400 mhz upgrade plus a ultra scsi upgrade and it loads IE very quickly as does my G4 dual 800. When I open IE I get the start up screen right away, but then it takes between 40 seconds and a minute to load the rest. Is the ATA bus that much slower than ULTRA SCSI ? This is the first powerbook I've owned and I am wondering if I'm missing some special set up or if this is what I give up with a portable. I don't get it....maybe one of you Gurus knows why such a difference in performance. Thanks in advance for any input. Robb

TZ
03-31-2003, 08:49 PM
New hard drive might really help. Make sure IE has 40MB or whatever you feel is adequate. Make sure that it isn't trying to load a web page. Disable java and whatever other prefs you would normally use. I'd delete the cache.waf file(s), and start from a new "Internet Preference" file (rename to ".bak" or something as this file is one of the first to get corrupted the way IE abuses it).

UltraSCSI is ~20MB/sec and the internal SCSI bus - isn't that FastSCSI? 10MB/s? Have you tried running ATTO ExpressTools Pro to see what it shows for sustained reads/writes with 8MB file size? It uses... ATA/16? and so it likely got 9MB/s or so. The newer 2.5" drives should do much better even on older ATA bus.

Check your results to those of others in the disk drive upgrade database on www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) for a comparison, too.

- G.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 31 March 2003).]