PDA

View Full Version : Did MicroCenter fry my 2300?

weinmann
03-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Last fall I took my PB 2300 to MicroCenter for them to install an internal Global Village modem. They had the computer for over 2 months because they could not get it to work right. I had to bring in the dock and they ended up reformatting the drive.

I got it back end November, but did not try it until late January. The green light goes on when power is connected, but otherwise it is completely dead. Will not start up in the dock or out.

MicroCenter now says it needs a new logic board. They say sometimes the logic board just dies on computers, for no reason.

How likely is this? Did MicroCenter likely ruin the logic board, or is this just an unlucky coincidence?

Thanks.
- Winston Weinmann

trag
03-13-2001, 05:27 PM
It's really impossible to know for sure. Motherboards do sometimes die, but it is rare. So they may have killed, or they may have had the misfortune to have custody when it died. But if it died while they had it and they knew that, why didn't they tell you that when you picked it up? That part sounds a little fishy to me, but the innocent sometimes flee because they fear that others will believe them guilty.

You're probably out of luck because you waited so long to test it. So it boils down to how much are you comfortable asking for. If it were me, I'd at least ask the manager to refund the installation charge for the modem. I mean, if they installed a modem and didn't even tell you the machine died while they had it...Or are they telling you that it died while it was sitting unused in your possession?

It's also possible that they put it back together wrong and that the board is fine, but they misconnected something. The 2300 is pretty old in computer years, so the probability of them having an experienced repair tech for the 2300 is lower. But to confirm or deny that, you'd probably have to pay someone else to look at it and then you've got the good money after bad thing going.

magician
03-14-2001, 04:05 AM
it is very likely that the problem is in the modem, and not the logic board. If you disassemble that unit, you will note that the power-on module is replaced by the modem itself. It could have popped off its connector, or it could be defective. I presume that MicroCenter returned the pulled power-on module to you? If not, politely request that they return it. They had to pull it to install the modem. Swapping the original unit out for the modem will confirm whether the problem is with the logic board. I strongly suspect it is just fine. You just need to deal with a technician who can actually work on PowerBooks. Who knows what kind of yahoos are working at MicroCenter?

I almost wish I lived in your town. I would go over there and have them breathing thru their rectums.

WHERE are my happy pills? Serenity now!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

weinmann
03-14-2001, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the helpful suggestion. MicroCenter did return the original power-on card to me. I will get it to them to see if that helps.

Another suggestion I got was to reset the power manager by removing all power sources including the internal backup battery. MicroCenter tried this with no success.

Thanks again.
- Winston Weinmann

MadDog
03-17-2001, 10:28 AM
Duos are sometimes temperamental machines if the parameter RAM battery is dying/dead.

I would suggest leaving the unit plugged in for a day or 2 on AC, then trying the power manager and standard boot sequence.

Do you get a boot chime at all ?

Mad Dog

weinmann
11-07-2001, 11:47 PM
MicroCenter ended up replacing the system board (we split cost), but I think MadDog was right. The non-startup problem recurred when the power was off to my DuoDock for a long weekend. Disconnecting the PRAM battery solved the problem.

Apple not telling me about the effects of bad PRAM batteries caused us a lot of grief and expense.

I'd have thought MicroCenter would be more competent. But they also broke the screen case, which does not have to be opened to put in the modem. They fixed it for free, but now the ribbon cable to the modem is tearing inside the hinge. (Losing video colors made me do some disassembly myself.) They also likely broke some of the clips at the front of the case when they opened it.

- Winston Weinmann