PDA

View Full Version : Re: Switch to second monitor

ecoqc
09-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Spec: Beige G3. MacOS 9.1. Right now I have only vertical stripes on my main monitor connected to the built-in video.Could not see anything else. Is there a way to switch to my second monitor connected to the PCI ATI Rage128 on Start-up by pressing some keys? I know that I can switch my main screen from a monitor to another by using the Monitor Control Panel and restart.

lasvegas
09-10-2001, 02:34 PM
Really the only way to default to the PCI card is to disconnect the monitor from the built-in port. To make the switch easier when your main monitor is on the fritz, install the program SwitchRes (http://madrau.free.fr/switchres/SwitchRes252.sit.hqx). This program, among it's many features, will let you change resolutions and select main screens from the contextual menu (Control-Click) on the other working display.

ecoqc
09-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your answer. But I cannot install that software because I cannot see anything on my main screen but vertical stripes. I mean no menus, no control strip , no floppy disk ( when I insert one).

lasvegas
09-15-2001, 12:41 AM
Have you tried swapping monitors? If you Zap the PRAM, it will reset your video card to 640x480, but only until the Mac OS switches it back. You could startup with the shift key down, but then OS 9's Monitor control panel won't work to make changes.

tachyon
09-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Wont the Mac automatically sync and select as the startup monitor (the blessed one that gets the menu bar) any monitor that's the only on plugged in to it? I seem to recall this was the case with beige Macs, maybe not "New World" Macs.

That means: have you tried plugging one monitor into your second video card and nothing into the built-in video?

PS It doesn't sound like a monitor problem, they're more likely to get horizontal stripes not vertical.

ecoqc
09-21-2001, 09:10 AM
Yes, I did that too: a monitor connected to the PCI card and nothing to the built-in video connector. The startup process stops after a few minutes and I got nothing but a blank screen on my monitor. If I connected another monitor to the built-in connector, the startup process went normally, and I got a Mac background on the monitor connected to PCI card, and the vertical stripes on my other one, the one "blessed" with the menu bar. I also switched the monitors but no result.I knew that my built-in video is gone.

ecoqc
09-28-2001, 11:05 AM
I don't think the beige Mac automatically can sync and select as the startup monitor (the blessed one that gets the menu bar) any monitor that's the only on plugged in to it. Because I have to connect one monitor into the builtin video connector to be able to startup, even if I want to use the other as my startup monitor.Since I cannot see anything on my main monitor, I have to take the hard drive and the ATI card and plug them into my another Mac (PM7500 with a G3 card). Restart with the drive from the Beige as startup drive. Install the SwitchRes and set up the secondary monitor (the one connected to the ATI card) as startup monitor. Put back the drive and the card into the Beige. Connect the two monitors and restart. I am able to use it. But when I disconnect the monitor connected to the builtin video, the Beige won't start up. It seems to look for a monitor connected to the builtin video, and if it doesn't find one, it stops the startup process.

lasvegas
09-29-2001, 12:29 AM
This is very strange. I have a client with a G3 that uses an UltaRes video card without a card attached to the built-in monitor. He has no problems with this configuration. This leads me to suspect that your onboard video is malfunctioning. Unfortunately, the only cure is to replace the logic board. You can pick one up at Shreve Systems (http://www.shrevesystems.com/) for $349 (not an inexpensive fix though.).