PDA

View Full Version : B&W G3 Blues

pixpicker
09-19-2001, 01:38 AM
I have a B&W G3/350 at work that just wont work! First, it started dropping the network. Then it decided not to boot, just stalls and hangs even with base extensions (it will boot with extensions off), Tried system 9.1 reinstall with zeroed out initilization - same thing. Tried swapping RAM - no dice. Im thinking its the motherboard unless someone has a better idea. Norton shows no problems. Any suggestions? If not, what are my options for a G4 mobo swap?

[This message has been edited by pixpicker (edited 19 September 2001).]

ricks
09-19-2001, 02:48 AM
Gotta be software. If it works with extensions off you have an extension conflict or corrupt file most of the time. Seldom will you find hardware failures.

Try Techtool Pro, it really does work most of the time.

Next, I have found that crashes like this just seem to happen with the Mac OS extension system. Downloading the latest version of ALL your drivers takes some time but I'd bet that you'll find the problem that way. It's worth it.

Last, if your updating the extensions, you might as well do a clean install of OS9.1. I am not certain, SO CHECK THIS BEFORE DOING, I think 9.1 when making a clean install will place your old system folder in a 'old sys folder' folder thus saving all your prefs,netscape bookmarks, etc. Otherwise, rename your sys folder and do a clean install.

When I last had this problem I mounted a extra hard drive in my mac, copied the system folder to it(as well as any other VID....very important data), disconnected it to protect the folder and then did the install thus guaranteeing my files were protected.

Rick

lasvegas
09-19-2001, 04:36 AM
But first! Check your 3.6v, 1/2AA Lithium battery. It only costs $10 and causes strange behaviour such as yours when it starts going dead.

pixpicker
09-19-2001, 10:29 AM
I'll check the battery but I haven't noticed any of the ususal symptoms. I can't see how it's software because the only thing running is the base extensions installed from the 9.1 systems cd after a zeroed out initialization. I know the cd is good.

ricks
09-19-2001, 11:46 AM
Wow, I reread your orig post and see you did say you zero'd the drive and did a new install. Kinda blows away the 'software,do a clean install' advice.

Only item left is to try a different OS version. Without getting into hardware anyway.

I still like Techtool for finding hardware problems. Is it possible the drive has gone bad?

Your looking at something I have never done, I have never had a base machine that didn't have tons of aftermarket junk plugged in all over it. Extension and driver incompatabilities have always plagued me.

Rick

tachyon
09-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Here comes tachyon with his "reset the logic board" tricks again. Sorry, but I haven't read that this was tried. So try it. Remove AC power and the battery for 10 mins and press the CUDA reset button.

Also try DISCONNECTING the hard drive completely, and boot up from your 9.1 CD. Try and get on and stay on a network. Everything OK? Therefore like ricks said it was a faulty hard drive. The fact that it works with extensions off (Virtual Memory is also off in this case) means there may be a hard drive problem. Got a spare IDE drive anywhere?

PS, faulty RAM has been known to corrupt data during installation, so swapping RAM (I assume only one DIMM at a time) wont help unless you try a Clean Install of OS 9.1 for each DIMM.

ricks
09-20-2001, 11:45 PM
tachyon

Nice post!
Rick

lasvegas
09-21-2001, 01:36 AM
Note: It is not necessary, nor recommended to remove the power cord when accessing the inner works of your computer, including pressing the CUDA switch. This is because, as long as the power cord is connected, the frame of the computer is properly grounded. Touching any metel of the system will prevent damage from static electricity. All high voltages are safely locked away within the power-supply enclosure.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 21 September 2001).]

pixpicker
09-24-2001, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I've been covering the events in NYC for the last 2 weeks and the tech folks sent the G3 out for repair. Probably come back the same with a big bill. Anyway, I'll let you know the outcome. .....pixpicker

TZ
09-25-2001, 10:59 AM
In case you are (trying) to use ATTO UL3S/D 1.64 on a b&w there is a confirmed bug that affects B&W G3's running 9.2.1.

It "acts" like it could be extension thing, or need to update the driver (Drive Setup, FWB, SoftRAID, even ATTO ExpressPro Tools 2.6), only it isn't. They are working on a fix but so far no idea when.

Gregory