PDA

View Full Version : stuck in rebootland

aj
09-20-2001, 07:40 PM
I just installed a miles 2 and a seagate cheetah plus softraid in 2 vinatage powercomputing machines.(I bought it from you guys) All went well in one. The other froze while I was doing a "stripe in place" I had to reboot, but now the machine gongs, shows a brief "happy mac" and shuts down and regongs. It would do this for hours if I let it. I can boot from an old power computing cd, but that contains system 7.5.

lasvegas
09-21-2001, 12:24 AM
What version of Mac OS do you have in that computer. What PowerComputing system is it? Do you have the install CD for the version of OS you're using?

I would recommend upgrading the OS as far as is practical for your software packages in both systems. Obviously, you need to reinstall your System software as your symptoms indicate that the System suitcase itself is corrupted. You can purcase various older versions of Mac OS at exceptional prices from a few sources including MacResQ (http://www.macresq.com).

aj
09-21-2001, 09:57 AM
The machine is a powerwave with an xlr8G3 450, OS8.6. Since I can boot from a floppy, I am curently trying to install 8.5 on the new hard drive. If I succeed I will then try to boot from new drive.Does this sound reasonable?