PDA

View Full Version : Dead Imac Monitor

jeffhomer
08-08-2001, 06:30 PM
I get a startup chime, the fan turns on, and the power button turns green. But the screen doesn't turn on. I replaced the motherboard battery and it didn't help. Any ideas?

kaye
08-08-2001, 08:07 PM
How about trying to startup from the OS CD? k

crazyeights
08-13-2001, 11:45 PM
.......yeah, what kaye said........

.......what about drive access......can you hear the hard drive do it's usually spin up and clickity clack? (does it sound different than it usually does)

...........it also may be the high voltage transformer/power supply for the CRT........and it is not recomended you tinker with it unless you have some experience. There is probably some kind of low amp/high voltage capacitor in there, that could give you a unforgetable case of whoopass. Could also be the video output has just gone yammie. Yes, it's true....I'm pulling straws.....

Try Kaye's suggestion. If it's no go, come back for some feedback about how to troubleshoot the video itself, which, of course, I know nothing about..... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

regards,

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 13 August 2001).]

lasvegas
08-14-2001, 02:03 AM
It depends on what version of iMac as to how easy the video port can be accessed, but all iMacs have a standard SVGA connector. You can attach a multisync monitor to that port to rule in or out the built-in monitor.

tachyon
08-17-2001, 09:53 AM
lasvegas said:
"all iMacs have a standard SVGA connector"
Not True!
233 Bondi, 266 and 333 fruity flavors - DB-15 Mac when you take off the back panel - make sure you use a Multisync monitor that supports the 3 refresh rates that the iMac video board can output.
iMac 350 blueberry- No VGA port
iMac indigo 350 (Summer 2000) - No VGA port
all Other iMacs- statement is true.
jeffhomer: when you replaced the battery, did you reset the CUDA chip (little gray button on silver square)?
If you get video thru one of these video-out ports while the iMac's screen stays black, then the analog/video board has probably died, but further comments will depend on what model of iMac it is!

hubba bubba
09-05-2001, 02:04 PM
If you can get video off of the logicboard (external monitor as suggested) and it boots up normally, then it's the power/analog/video board, or the analog/video board (depending on the iMac). No video off the logic board either probably means a bad logic board. No guarantees though, iMacs are the wackiest things I've ever worked on.

tachyon
09-20-2001, 09:04 PM
by "wackiest" hubbabubba surely meant to type "most cleverly and delicately engineered" or "having the most integrated subsystems".

I'm sure the designers didn't intend for them to be wacky. They're just an appliance, like a VCR or something. It amazes me that iMacs can amaze people that fully understand how internal combustion engines can drive their own water and oil pumps. That stuff amazes me. You just wait till computers are as old as cars are now.