View Full Version : Internet Explorer

09-11-2001, 04:24 AM
Wondering about a symptom I get while using I.E. 5. The browser opens up just fine, but whether I type in an address or click a link, I wind up with half the buttons on the page as squares with the word "image" in each button. Everything on the page does not load in other words. One reason I have been reluctant to question this too much is, so far I have had AOL as my service provider and just open I.E. on top of it when I need to. One browser going through another doesnt strike me as a very good idea but I dont really believe that is the culprit here. I have tried increasing the memory in the AOL application and the I.E. application but that doesnt seem to help. Is this a RAM problem possibly? I dont recall what the updates are for it but I did download and install an update for it. I believe I am running Java 2.2.5 so I dont think that is outdated. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Below are specs

8500 G/3 500
320mb interleaved FP 60ns
cheetah HD
Miles 2
Voodoo 5 5500
Viewsonic (usually set at 800X600 thousands color)

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 11 September 2001).]

09-17-2001, 12:34 AM
Try going into your system folder and removing any extension with "MS" or "microsoft" in the title. Then reboot. The Self-Healing software will rebuild these when you launch IE5 again. It has worked for me many times, in particular for IE5 freezing at startup and other strange problems.

Warning: you may need to run your Office 98 updaters again (if you use it).

09-17-2001, 02:39 AM
.....that symptom may not have "local origins". It may just be a sluggish server or your connection may not be optimum. If you're running a DSL connection, you might try playing with the browser cache.

I have a DSL connection that's pretty damn fast, but when connecting to some servers, I can go brew a pot of coffee waiting for all the images to load.


09-17-2001, 11:56 AM
I know at one point early in the summer right after a clean install and a bunch of updates, IE worked and usually worked well for what have, and now it is not worth using if it can be avoided. I will try the extension fix and see what happens. Thanks guys, and sorry for posting in here, I was in a hurry and thought I got software right next to this.

09-18-2001, 01:47 PM
also make sure in IE's preferences / web content / page content, you have the correct boxes checked...

09-18-2001, 03:07 PM
running IE app at twice the memory required, in preferences: web content: the only things not checked are colorsync, stylesheet and java errors.