PDA

View Full Version : Crash of Dual 800 and unmountable SCSI

hSan
09-06-2001, 06:54 AM
I have solved this problem (at least temporarily), but if anyone has any suggestions on the cause, that would be great.

The System: Dual 800 G4, 640Mb RAM, OEM 36 Gig Cheetah drive, 2nd 36 Gig Cheetah from MacGurus that I installed myself (I have done many installations), MacOS 9.2.1.

What happened: Left the computer on last night. When I left it, it was indexing the startup disk. I did turn off the monitor (I have noticed some sync problems with my legacy Hitachi monitor when the system goes to sleep. On trying to wake the system this morning, it appeared to have crashed. I ended up hitting the Reset button. When the system restarted, the 2nd hard disk was seen by Apple System Profiler, but it did not mount.

The Fix: Launched Drive Setup, selected the troublesome hard disk, and chose Update Driver from Functions menu. On Restart, everything was fine.

I know there is an array of hard disk software that I should have installed. When I can afford to buy it, I will.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any insight about the cause?

dragon_x
09-06-2001, 03:41 PM
I did turn off the monitor (I have noticed some sync problems with my legacy Hitachi monitor when the system goes to sleep.
I have noticed this two - but only on dual display systems with 9.x. I have a V5 + RAGE128 in my PTPro and occasionally the V5 would go out of sync (usually after coming out of sleep, but sometimes on restart or bootup). I thought it was the V5 or V5+ Monitor. I switched the monitor and its resolution and the problem seemed to go away.

I have a dual PCI RADEON setup in my B&WG3/500yose. the 33Mhz PCI radeon will go out of sync randomly - after sleep and during boot. I turn the monitor off to solve this issue - I think it might be fixed with 9.2.1 - but then that is what you are running so that makes me worry http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

The thing that REALLY bugs me is that its working perfectly then for some odd reason the computer decides to muck things up. I wonder if this might be related to the HD issue? ? maybe not?

For the HD - I would try to get it back with Disk Warrior - if you can. You might also want to try SoftRAID - if you have it, or you could try reformatting (assuming the data is backed up).

Do you have SCSI Probe 5.1?

GL

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe