PDA

View Full Version : Need to Lock Keyboard

angela
08-29-2001, 04:27 PM
How do I lock my keyboard so that my niece doesn't do stuff while I am way from the computer? Is there a shortcut or do I need to install a program? Thanks.

ChrisYip
08-29-2001, 05:17 PM
Are you using Multiple Users under OS 9?. if so, then just log out and then she can't log in or do anything unless she has the right user name / password

If it's a USB keyboard (O.K. - this is a silly way but easy) - unplug it and take it with you ...

There may be others.

Chris.

mactheripper
08-29-2001, 07:44 PM
If you are using 8.x, there is a tiny program called BugOff that has worked without crashing for me. It is a screensaver with password protection.

angela
08-30-2001, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I decided to peruse versiontracker and cnet for a couple of applications. I'm using OS 9.0.4 and wanted something that doesn't require a password. I will probably use a new freeware called Screenlock http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11772&db=mac Life couldn't be simpler-open the application, close it by hitting the option key and clicking on the box enter password. Statistically speaking, its a low probability that the 3 year old would simultaneoulsy hit both of these keys, so this should work. The neat thing about this application is that it fools people into thinking there is a password.

I did see a screensaver called Blackwatch that looked interesting but it would require a password. Chris you mentioned about the multiple users control panel. I saw an application called Mulock that activates this control panel. I got the scare of my life with this trial since I dont use multiple users and could not access my computer nor use a forced quit. Luckily rebooting ended the nightmare. After this I have decided to delete the multiple users control panel as a precaution. I better stick with Screenlock--one less password to remember seems simple enough.

ChrisYip
08-30-2001, 07:54 AM
Hi...

Actually Multiple Users isn't that hard to use - by default, the owner is the only user of the machine so basically you can enable it, not have any other users enabled and you're all set. All you do is click on your name to log in and enter your password.. We use it in the lab and it's fine. It's not very different than using the Windows Networking log in under NT or 2K or even 95 if you have Windows Networking enabled. I never heard of Mulock - I was just using the normal OS 9.0.4 system (or 9.2.1 now) - no third party add-ons. Now you can disable the Multiple User log-in under the appropriate control panel.

Note that under OS X, you will have to get used to the log-in protocol.

I think the difference here might be that in a university environment, we are very used to the idea of logging in to access a computer and it's a less common configuration on a home system.

Chris

angela
08-30-2001, 09:08 AM
Chris,

I am likely to revisit my thoughts on multiple users since Screenlock is not immune to the shutdown key. The odds of the 3 year of pushing this button has a high probability. So I am back to the drawing board. How can I make sure that no one else can can create an identity? Multiple users scares me because I am concerned with fixing one problem and creating another. What are the pros and cons to using this control panel?

ChrisYip
08-30-2001, 01:18 PM
Hi...

Only you, as OWNER, under Multiple Users can create accounts etc... So basically unless someone snags onto your computer while you're not there, you're O.K. - You can set up the system to that it drops to the log-in screen after being idle for x minutes etc.. or you can simply "logout" when you are leaving the room... If there is only one user, and that is the owner, then you should be fine. This should be fine for the low-level security that you would need to bypass a 3 year old... I think that even some school lab environments, such as ours, use it and there are no problems. You could even set up a "limited" account for your neice that would prevent her from doing anything dangerous - you can limit CD access, access to specific programs, system folder access, etc.. It's very flexible..

Chris

angela
08-30-2001, 04:34 PM
Can the multiple users panel be setup to iniatiate at startup everytime?

ChrisYip
08-30-2001, 04:51 PM
Sure thing... Just go to the Apple Menu / Control Panels / Multiple Users.. and click on the option button that says Multiple User Accounts On/Off

Chris

ChrisYip
08-30-2001, 04:56 PM
... just click on "ON" and you're set.. just don't forget your owner's password that you would have set in the File Sharing control panel under Network Identity....

Chris

angela
08-30-2001, 05:32 PM
I am really looking forward to trying out the multiple users since I have been disappointed with the other applications that I have tried. For instance, I tried out Blackwatch screensaver. At first gkance it was nice that no keys on the keyboard could be activated. The downside is that the on/off button on the computer bypasses the program. Will this happen with mutiple users too? What happens if I turn off the computer and I have documents open and multiple users activated? I need something similar to the windows environment where nothing happens until the password is entered--no keys are activated and the machine cannot be turned off until the password is entered by the owner? Does multiple users do this?

lasvegas
08-30-2001, 07:22 PM
No. Multiple Users simply prevents others from accessing your computer by starting it up. Once the password has been entered, the computer is open to any user. The Shutdown process will not complete until all documents of all open applications have been dismissed through a "Save File?" dialog. Also, power could be removed from the computer, the reset button pressed or on some computers the power switch pressed for a few seconds that will shutdown the machine and any open documents.

If you're going to walk away from your computer, always save any work in progress! Never trust it to be there when you get back, unless you live/work alone, have no children/pets, have a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) directly wired (without connectors) and are truely blessed by your Maker! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 30 August 2001).]

angela
08-30-2001, 08:12 PM
LasVegas,
I love your frankness and sense of humor. Maybe I should ask is there an application in Macland that will have a password and be immune to shutdown of any kind? My niece will somehow figure out if she cant make the keyboard work--she goes straight to the on/off button. In any case, I will save anything important just in case something weird happens.

lasvegas
08-30-2001, 08:44 PM
Angela: Since you are using an ADB keyboard, pick up an A/B switch and use it as an On/Off switch. I'll let you in on a little secret! ADB A/B switches are identical to SVideo A/B switches. If you can find the later cheaper or easier then go for it!

angela
08-30-2001, 09:14 PM
Cool suggestion about the switch, but for now the BlackWatch works great to stop any keyboard activity. The part that scares me most is the on/off button, but I guess there is nothing I can do about, but save everything. I reached a happy medium by including this in startup items. I think this will work.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 30 August 2001).]