PDA

View Full Version : Can't install fonts!!

Riverwalker
08-24-2001, 01:28 AM
I am using a Quadra 840AV running OS 8.1 with 32 mb of RAM with which
I have been downloading fonts for about a week now, most of them in Postscript format using either ZipIt or Stuffit to unstuff the files. Some were in TrueType format for which I would use TT Converter 1.5 to convert them to PS files.

Everything worked okay for a while. I would drag the suitcase shaped icons to the system folder, after which I would restart the computer and the fonts would be installed - until yesterday. I downloaded several fonts and the names DIDN'T SHOW UP in the font list when I tried to select a font from the pull down menus (using SimpleText, Word and Photoshop).

Figuring I had too many already installed (81), I removed about 10 of them and put them in a separate folder and restarted. No change. I tried to load those fonts back into the system fonts folder and resarted. No dice.

I would really like to install all these fonts if possible and have them operational.

Can anyone help?!

R.W.

lasvegas
08-24-2001, 05:41 AM
At first my thought was that you were experiencing problems with Apple's Font bug, but it turns out that bug was only present in Mac OS 8.6. It probably wouldn't hurt to run Apple's Font First Aid included in the Font Manager Update (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Other_System/Font_Manager_Update_1.0.smi.bin) package. You shouldn't need to install the extension though.

If that doesn't work, you might try removing all of the non-system fonts and re-dragging them to the closed System Folder. That should correct any Font ID conflicts. BTW: You don't have to restart between installations of fonts. Just quit and re-run any programs that use them. Also, consider investing in a Font Manager utility like ATM Deluxe.

kaye
08-24-2001, 11:53 AM
I may be all wet on this, particularly since we are talking OS8.1, but the PS fonts are loading on startup and, with 32MB RAM, are running out of room to load. I just compared the difference between Adobe Sans MM in TT and PS. The TT was 16KB and the PS was 88KB.

Why this worked for you before I don't know. But I do think you need more RAM. I did look at Conflict Catcher, you have to tell it to show ALL fonts, otherwise it only shows TT if you checkmark Fonts in one of the prefs, and both TT and PS fonts are loading at startup. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 24 August 2001).]

lasvegas
08-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Sounds reasonable to me kaye! 32MB was a tiny amount of RAM even under 8.1! When the System heap starts running out of memory the first thing to get the boot is sound support. Second the fonts get purged. At today's prices it would behoove you to add as much memory as you can afford!

mactheripper
08-24-2001, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately, that type of RAM is not so cheap. But that shouldn't stop you. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

Riverwalker
08-25-2001, 11:19 PM
Well friends...

I tried the Apple font first-aid kit option suggested by Las Vegas but kept getting an error message to the effect that either font first aid kit couldn't open because it might be damaged or it might not run on my type of computer.
(sigh...). I additionally tried removing all non-system fonts and moving them to the closed System Folder and that also didn't work.

I confess to be very nominally computer literate so I will mirror back what I believe I'm hearing from you, kaye and mactheripper:

You are saying that 32mb is too little RAM and therefore my computer is messing up in regard to how it deals with installing fonts.

Now, I should add these tidbits. Understanding that the computer's hard drive (a little over 1 GB) needs to have 100mb of hard drive space free for normal operations to take place, I currently have 147.8mb of space available. Also, today I looked at the Apple System Profiler and it read
"Memory installed: 32mb
Total memory: 64mb"

...Okay, I have these related questions:
Does that mean I have 64mb of RAM inside or is that 64mb referring to virtual memory as "About This Computer" suggests?
If I have 64mb, could the problem be something else?
Could my small amount of hard drive space have anything to do with my difficulties?
If I have to add on memory, how much does RAM cost for a computer like this?

kaye
08-26-2001, 11:57 AM
There are a number of possible issues here based on your last post. First I want to mention the RAM. According to Apple http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=46

Memory
Logic Board: none
RAM Slots: 4, 72-pin SIMM
Min - Max RAM: 4 MB - 128 MB
Min RAM Speed: 60 ns
RAM Sizes: 4, 8, 16, 32 MB
Install in Groups of: 1

Don't get any ram slower than 60ns, meaning no 70 or 80ns. Second, the largest single stick you can install is 32MB. "Install in Groups of: 1" means you can install a single stick, you don't need to install matched pairs as some NuBus Macs require. I have not searched for 72-pin SIMMs in a long time, but I would get as much 32MB sticks as you can afford, and that may mean removing some or all of what you already have, if they are 4,8, or 16MB sticks. Normally I would recommend the Gurus ram but we only carry 70ns SIMMs and you must have 60ns in the Q840AV. So go here http://www.ramseeker.com/simm.shtml and be sure to get 2k refresh as well as the other specs above. Also, what I don't know, is whether your existing ram is EDO or FPM. Is there a sticker on one of the sticks indicating EDO or FPM? If not, pull one of the sticks and read me the numbers/letters on one of the ram CHIPS.

You have Virtual Memory enabled in the Memory Control Panel. That is why you show 64MB when you really have 32MB or real ram. So your hard drive is supplying the additional 32MB. You want to get more ram so that you can disable this Virtual Memory because it is carving out a space on your hard drive, which is nearly full already. So you see, you are severely limited on real ram and your HD is nearly full. This is not good.

Last, this nearly full HD is probably severely in need of maintenance. What you have left in useable space is probably fragmented all over the drive. And the directory may be damaged (Macs can still usually still startup). And many of the files may be damaged. We see this a lot with folks who understandably don't know that monthly HD maintenance is essential. The Mac is so good that often it's HD will go for years, but...

My monthly maintenance in this order:
Disk Warrior, Norton Disk Doctor, Apple Disk First Aid, Norton Speed Disk, Disk Warrior again.

We can get into the details of what these HD maintenance utilities do if you decide you want to spring for them. k

ICCAFSN
08-27-2001, 04:51 AM
I used to play with a TON of fonts (well not really a ton, but actually more than the 81 you're mentioning) on my Macintosh IIsi running Systems 7.x (how did I ever get work done with that OS?) with a mind-blowing 5 MB of RAM. I used a font manager (which may be what you need here) to manage all my fonts. Back then there were mainly 2 font-managing programs (which surprisingly are still around, although one of them has gone through numerous companies). Suitcase (I used to use the version by Fifth Generation Systems - OLD!) is now owned by Extensis I believe. The other one is MasterJuggler by Alsoft (of DiskWarrior fame). Take a look into these programs and email your situation to their support people. If these programs can solve your font problems, it might actually be cheaper than purchasing those old SIMMs.

tm311
08-27-2001, 07:09 AM
i would recomend buying "atm" deluxe and using it to manage your fonts . even if all 81 DID show up in your aps it would not be a great idea to have them all in your system folder..it really makes your computer work harder than it needs to do.

magician
08-27-2001, 10:23 PM
if memory serves....we may even have old shrink-wrapped copies of MasterJuggler laying around here...unless we sent them to Louie?

if anyone needs them, let me know. I'll look around and see if I can find them. We'll let them go for a good deed (not to us, but for the nearest homeless person).

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif