PDA

View Full Version : Argh - blown RAID 0

ChrisYip
08-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Argh

and of course this would happen on a Civic Holiday weekend up here. Scenario: Two Atlas LVD drives set up as a RAID0 array under SoftRAID 2.2.2 running off a Miles2 card in a 7300 / G3/400. Machine has been having hiccups and freezes all week - it just finished a Retrospect back-up when all of sudden it wouldn't work. I couldn't boot off it (the RAID was the boot drive).

I tried using Norton, DW.. and finally I moved the whole thing over to my PTP and connected it up to the Miles2 on that machine. Turned out that the RAID was missing files (MDB directory) and then the drive basically disappeared from the SCSI bus. ASP couldn't find it at all when you went to scan the bus. No spin up noise - nothing. So now I'm trying to recreate the Retrospect catalogue from my VXA tapes so can restore the machine's SnapShot from last night - thank goodness for back-up drives.

(sigh).

Chris

crazyeights
08-15-2001, 09:14 PM
Nasty....... Not as bad as the famous Darin Ames RAID meltdown of the year 2000. I think his RAID failed but continued to write to his backup volume, and over wrote it with gobblety gook. It was bad.

It was an Epic Event most likely engineered by the Gods, to redirect Darin into his real passion, lounge singing and groupies.

Has anyone heard from Darin lately? Magician?

c8

ChrisYip
08-15-2001, 10:08 PM
I remember that - t'was a painful thread to read..

Anyways - I got myself back up and running - ended up with everything back on this old Atlas V drive - then I ordered in an 18GB 10K Cheetah, duplicated the old drive to it and then retired the Atlas - a JIC move...

BTW - the 'Gurus rock in every regard - man - I ordered the drive Monday, I think, and I had it Tues.. Sweet...

(BTW - this Seagate drive is much faster than that Atlas V..), which would beat the pants off the Mac SE that I'm playing with now... - Still running System 6...

Chris

dragon_x
08-15-2001, 10:42 PM
Not as bad as the famous Darin Ames RAID meltdown of the year 2000.

Yeah, that is the story handed down from YEARS ago by the masters to scare the pants of woodbee systems admins http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

May your drives live long and prosper! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

And remember

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe