PDA

View Full Version : Dual 533 SCSI woes, part II

Mack Damon
08-04-2001, 02:24 AM
I have a Dual 533 I bought 2 months ago. I put the MilesUltra2LVD card from my B&W G3/350 in it and noticed miserable performance in 9.1, even with the oldest/latest drivers (OSX betas) My sustained writes went down to 6 mb/s.... they were in the mid 30's on the G3. Initio was going through some corporate drama at the time, and informed me that if I needed an immediate solution, (I did) that I should try another product. So I did. I bought the ATTO SCSI3 Ultra 160 from the GURUS. And it's SLOWER in the G4 dual than the Miles was in my G3/350. Sustained writes are right at 20mb/s. The drives (all UltraLVD, IBM & Seagate) shouldn't be an issue, because the same drives go faster in the G3 with the Miles. I don't have the patience to try the ATTO in the G3, because it simply can't stay there. The ATTO needs to be in the G4. I tried a 36 gig Ultra160 drive connected to the ATTO, disconnecting the slower LVD. No dice. Can anybody help me make this thing work as advertised? ATTO seems stumped when I call Tech support. The drives have been reformatted with the ATTO driver. The system configuration is this:
G4/Dual533 1152mb ram (2) UltraATA 45gigs (1) Seagate SCSI Ultra2 18 gig (1) IBM 36 gig Ultra160 ixMicro/Apple 2nd PCI video PCI324 audio recording PCI card.

Mack Damon

crazyeights
08-14-2001, 12:14 AM
I'll just stand here and do what I do best........

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 14 August 2001).]

dragon_x
08-14-2001, 09:00 AM
I havent heard of any issues with SCSI cards and DPG4 systems. I have heard of poor performance with the MilesU2W card though.

Are you using the same cable for each setup?
What drivers are you using with the hard drives?
I like to use Apple's latest drivers - since they are fast and work best with their systems.
Are you running anything in X or have you tried?
SoftRAID is not supported, but the ATTO card with Apple drivers should work fine. I run an AdaptecU2b in my YOSEG3 connected to a 10K 36GB Cheetah for data - and it works great.

GL
Also how are you measuring performance?
We just had a member here get really JUNK scores using another benchmark, but when he switched to the ATTO benchmark everything improved.
Finally - How do your REAL world speeds/throughput compair on the systems?

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

jorge
08-14-2001, 01:04 PM
Mack,

make sure you have the ATTO board's firmware up to 1.6.4. It is the fastest to date. I am running a DP 533 with 1.5GB ram, an ATTO dual Channel SCSI 3 with dual x15 Cheetahs. I have reads and writes around 80MB a sec sustained.

If you have a Miles2, then yo have the Softraid driver. DO not use the Atto driver since it is much slower than Softraid's. Do a low level format using Softraid on each SCSI drive and setup the raid. Use Softraid 2.2.2

Also, is the last drive connected on the cable using the last connector nearest to the terminator?

The Miles2 is really slow in the DP 533.

Let us know if you need anything else.

j

Mack Damon
08-15-2001, 12:04 AM
I'm going to try those suggestions this weekend, I'm in the middle of a huge project and can't afford for that machine to be down until then. Thanks for the replies, I'll post my findings here

------------------
Mack Damon