PDA

View Full Version : Hanging in there.

hartello
07-22-2001, 10:24 PM
I'm not feeling particularly trouble shooting "ish" so here I am with a symptom that I hope some one can help me with.
S900, XLR8 G3, Initio, 2X Seagate 18's (RAID), 9.1, SoftRAID 2.2.2.

What happens is the stuff I'm working on just stops BUT, the mouse will still move. If I wait a bit, it will resume what it was doing plus whatever else I tried to do (window shade, close window etc.). I was thinking it might be one of those "when it does that , it's always the______?" or "when it does that you have to______?"

I've run Disk First Aid and rebuilt the desktop but before I went further I wanted to check in for idea's. Oh yeah. . the start up chime is distorted too.

How does the world feel about the most recent iteration of Intech's HD Speed Tools 3.3? I was going to get the upgrade at Version Tracker and noticed some negative reports.

Thanks

Jim

magician
07-23-2001, 02:53 PM
HDST 3.3 is working ok for us here, but I don't see where you need it?

use SoftRAID on your Cheetah, for sure.

easiest way to narrow this down is to boot w extensions off, and see if you can duplicate the behavior. I'm betting it is extensions-related.

look hard at your background processes. It could be something stupid....there may be utilities available which will reveal which processes are running....i know you can do this in MacsBug, but i am not the person to explain how to use it for this purpose.

it could be something as idiotic as the File Exchange control panel polling your buses to see if there are any PC disks attached to your machine, or FileSharing trying to do something. Try thinking outside the box, and look hard at what your machine is doing when the phenomena occurs.

good luck!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Michael
07-24-2001, 01:07 PM
have you checked your energy saver panel? if it is engaged to put your drive to sleep when it detects no activity, that could be your problem.
M

crazyeights
07-26-2001, 02:42 AM
....................check to be sure virtual memory is off.......

What "stuff" are you working on.....? If it's in a browser window, could be an issue with Java, etc....

rotsa ruck

c8

hartello
08-14-2001, 01:03 AM
Hi everyone,

It's been something like 3 weeks since I checked in with the an update on my problem. The problem hasn't happened since I brought it up for comments.
Having said that, it will probably start doing it again immediately and worse than ever.
I have Virtual Memory off and I only allow Energy Saver to shut down the monitor so I should be ok there. If the symptoms return, I will try to sort it out logically per your suggestions.

Thanks everybody,

Jim

P.S. Oh yeah,
If it has to do with a browser or Java or anything of that sort, I just consider it as part of the deal.

[This message has been edited by hartello (edited 14 August 2001).]