PDA

View Full Version : USB bootability on iMacs

the_anarch
08-09-2001, 12:39 PM
I'm trying to help my father with a screwed-up iMac at his office. The CD-ROM drive in it has died, and he's been unable to use any utilities that require booting from a different drive (such as SpeedDisk or DiskWarrior) because he can't seem to boot from USB devices.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've been able to boot from my Zip drive, but my iMac is more recent than his. His is one of the earlier tray-loading-CD iMacs, mine a slot-loading model. Does anyone know if early iMacs specifically couldn't boot from USB drives, but maybe later ones had a revision that enabled it? I guess if that's the case, his only option is to have the CD drive replaced.

dragon_x
08-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Well the CD ROM should be replaced anyway, but -

I have an early iMac at work. To upgrade it to 9, I had to update the firmware. This may give USB bootability. Check the Apple TIL - they may mention this. I Take it you can not go to his how and disassemble the system?

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

the_anarch
08-10-2001, 09:15 AM
I could go over to his place, it's only an hour away. But there are some Macs that I have no confidence in taking apart myself, and the iMac is one of them.

I'll look into the firmware thing, thanks for the suggestion. You're right that the drive needs to be replaced, but for some reason he's trying to avoid that right now, I guess because of the downtime.

lasvegas
08-10-2001, 04:25 PM
It takes about 20 minutes to replace the drive.