PDA

View Full Version : No boot allowed

mottarts
08-05-2001, 03:50 AM
I have a Power Center Pro 210, stock w/ 32MB RAM, OS 7.6.1. For a while I've had problems cold booting. Lights come on, fans come on, HD spins up.... and no chime. I leave it on for 10 or 15 minutes, turn off at switch and start from keyboard and it works (chimes and boots up) most of the time. Someone advised me to leave it on 24/7 and just put it to sleep over night. I did this for many months till one day it didn't wake up. At this point I took it to a repair shop were they informed me it was a bad mother board and for $380 it could be fixed. And it was for 2 days and then the same problem occured. Lights on, fans on, HD spins....no chime!? I returned on a 30 day warranty claim wanting my money back and was informed they needed to send it back to their vendor for testing and repair. For some strange reason I don't trust these guys and feel I'm being taken for an expensive ride. Now the word is that the processor is bad and since the mother board worked after I received it the first time, they can't reimburse me for that repair.
1. Does anyone have any idea of the actual problem (has anyone heard of this before)?

2. If it is now a processor problem, do I dare purchasing an upgrade such as an
xlr8 G3 400/1, or something like that and install myself? My repair guys say they can get me a G3 350Mhz for $375. I notice that they are available quite a bit less on the web.

3. Should I cut my losses and upgrade to a new G4 desktop? I'm wanting to get a CD RW, more HD storage (I now have 2 Gigs), more RAM, and up date software.

Help!

mottarts
08-05-2001, 03:58 AM
Re: the aforementioned PCP 210:
I forgot to mention that I am functioning on a StarMax 4000/200 loaner with my Hard Drive installed so, the HD works fine.

dragon_x
08-05-2001, 11:01 AM
1) I'm sure this can happen. Those machines are old - so any number of things can go wrong. You might want to check out DT&T service - http://www.dttservice.com

Never done any business with them but they look good. Of course if your mobo is fine then you probably dont need to check them out but it is good to know - FYI.

2) You can get an XLR8 G3/400Mhz for about $200 on this site (last I checked). It can go in any number of PCI based macs and I guess you could resell it (for $375? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) If it doesnt work. Personally I would be curious and might take it a step further.

3) you need to draw the line somewhere. $200 is not pocket change for most people. It is less than a new $1700 G4 Tower, but then you maybe penny wise and pound foolish - spending your pennies on the cheapest path that will eventually cost you many pounds when you have to buy a new computer anyway http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

The new G4 Towers rock - for the base model you get
128MB RAM PC133 (It is much faster than your 60ns RAM and you can add inexpensive 3rd party RAM - 256MB for about $50)
G4/733Mhz (no L3 cache, but it will still run circles around your PCPro)
30GB + HD (again much faster than your existing HD and it uses inexpensive ATA/IDE standards so you can add another for $150 or less)
USB
Firewire
GeForce2MX AGP video (optional dual video GF available to) They connect to standard VGA monitors
10/100/1000baseT ethernet
built-in modem - 56K
5 total slots (1AGP video, 4 2xPCI)
Built-in CD-RW option (I think you can also get SUPER DRIVE and COMBO drives on some models).
This new system will run the newest software very well and you get MacOS 9.2, System 10, iTunes, iMovie2, IE 5, Netscape 4.7, etc....

For about $2500 or less you can get a VERY nice system.

GL

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

tm311
08-05-2001, 11:42 AM
NEVER...i repeat... NEVER take a mac into a repair shop....NEVER!!!! Anything THEY can fix , YOU can fix cheaper.....don't settle for there response that because it is a bad processor that you cannot get a return on the MOBO......THEY are the ones who diagnosed a bad MOBO...so if in fact it WAS a bad procesor they should have determined that.. It is not your fault they FU'ed the diagnosis. I think your prority should be to get your 380 dollars back or at least a replacement MOBO. then from that point on you can make a desison what to do next.....replacement processors can be had for CHEAP...you can get a "pull" from someone upgrading to a G3 for under 30 bucks on ebay.....or like DragX suggested , the gurus are discounting the 400 G3's from xlr8 and those cards are rock solid!!

DHB
08-06-2001, 12:40 PM
Perhaps obvious to some, but... did these guys REPLACE the CMOS battery? ...or have you replaced it at any time? Has anyone substituted a known good cpu in the 'new' motherboard?

Have all the slots been cleaned out with compressed air and then sprayed with contact cleaner? Ditto for the boards that go in them.

You can get used, good cpus (604e flavor) on ebay.
For that matter, you can get good, used PowerCenter Pros, P. Tower Pros, etc. on ebay. I obtained a PC Pro that has been very reliable. Ditto for several PowerTower Pros as well.

Bottom feeding isn't bad for you; if you are careful about what you eat.