PDA

View Full Version : Dead CDR on G3?

omegareport
07-17-2001, 08:52 PM
My Blue-White G3 has a problem. The CD spins, stops, spins again, ad nauseum - but it won't show up on the desktop, so I can't install any new software.
Any ideas?
Will a Sony IDE CDR CDU4011-10 work? Anything I need to know or do I just plug it in and format it?

crazyeights
07-26-2001, 02:34 AM
Well, now there's a fun conundrum. It's never a bad idea to have another drive or 2 with utilities, your OS software installer and up to date drivers, etc.... just for times like that. The first thing to try is re-install drivers for your CD-ROM..................if no go, then check connections, else...try another CD-ROM.............but first re-install drivers.

My balmy 2

c8

lasvegas
07-26-2001, 02:43 AM
Clean your drive. The symptoms indicate that the drive can't read the CD. Cleaning the drive can consist of blowing it out with canned air (Don't use your mouth. That will just add to the problem!), or using a CD Cleaning kit available at your local Audio CD retailer for $10 to 20.

In answer to your second question. Yes. The Sony drive will work well as a replacement drive. It will even boot a MacOS CD.