PDA

View Full Version : Can't startup

chrislcarey
07-15-2001, 12:29 AM
My PowerTower froze up, and upon restarting it hangs up just as extensions begin to load.

OK, so I restart with extensions off. Just as the desktop begins to appear, I'm greeted with the message, "Sorry, the desktop folder on the startup disk could not be created. Try unlocking the disk." And a button that says "Restart".

Is my disk history? Any clues?

Thanks for your help!

tm311
07-15-2001, 07:34 AM
can you boot from a CD? Such as a Norton CD or a Disk Warrior boot CD? You should provide some details such as what OS you are running and what you were doing to your machine just prior to these problems,

chrislcarey
07-15-2001, 01:11 PM
OK, more details:

When crash happened I had just tried running a recently installed demo of "Deux Ex". Haven't recently installed any new hardware.

I can't boot off a CD unless I physically unplug the drive. Otherwise it will load fine off CD until it tries to mount the HD. Then it just sits forever with the little watch icon, waiting, waiting...

Tried removing the crashed drive, put another IBM LVD (36 GB) in its place, and it works fine. Also re-installed my two old narrow 2 GB drives, and they're fine. So, system hardware seems OK.

Drive: 1 year-old IBM 18-GB LVD on a Miles2 w/latest firmware.
System: OS 8.6, PowerTower Pro, XLR8 G3 400 card, 544 MB RAM, VR 128 video card, Apple FireWire card, USB card.

tm311
07-15-2001, 01:53 PM
hmmmm.....it sounds like your finder got corrupted and now you may need to find away to boot off of a CD while that drive is connected to the computer....i had that same problem last month with a PowerTower 180.....i ended up having to boot off of a disk warrior CD while the drive was unplugged ..once i was booted i then plugged the drive in and mounted it using apples disk mounting software....i HIGHLY recommend you find another solution as this one can be disasterous. Wait for the true guru's to come along and help.

marrand
07-15-2001, 04:44 PM
Just curious. Can you boot up from Norton Utilities 5 CD? Or FWB? As I recall, when I had a "bad" drive, such booting was possible. I tried to "look" at the suspect HD, but it was truly bad. If you can get it to mount from the utilities CD's, then reinstalling the Finder may be the "fix" you need.

chrislcarey
07-18-2001, 11:06 AM
UPDATE:

Disk Warrior to the rescue! Turned out to be a corrupted desktop file, and only Disk Warrior could mount the offending HD. Started up off the CD, and DW did its thing!

Thanks for all the ideas.

Michael
07-24-2001, 01:04 PM
Chris's problem highlights a fundamental point i think needs reiterating: the importance of practicing safe computing. specifically routine, preventive maintenance. when crashes occur, they often corrupt disk directories. these are important because they tell your computer where and what information is stored on your HD. when HDs go, it almost invariably is a physical problem: the disk breaks and ceases to operate or destroys data. but if your disk directory is corrupted or damaged, then the OS cannot find the information it needs including the system folder which it needs to start up properly. that's why disk warrior is such a god send. it repairs directorys. i am convinced that every time you have a crash you need to rebuild your directory. if you ignore it, the damage will accumulate until something along the lines of what happened to chris occurs.
the 2 utilities everyone should have in their arsenal are disk warrior, and norton disk doctor. though some disagree, i also believe periodic defragging the disk is good. you'll be amazed at how snappy and quick everything is after a defrag. again, both diskwarrior and norton will optimize your disk for you. always remember though, back-up,back-up,back-up important data.
M