PDA

View Full Version : G4 FireWire problems.

russbarnes
07-18-2001, 11:53 PM
My G4 (AGP 450mHz) has been a workhorse for some time, but after the warranty has run out--and Apple Support, as well. I seem to be having a motherboard meltdown.
At first, my FireWire hard drives were having problems being recognized. Then, my DV deck (for DV editing) started to have problems with control by FCP. Finally, my drives were no longer recognized at all, and the output from my FireWire ports to DV deck were decimated with what appears to be macro-blocking and grey screen.

I upgraded all my system software and firmware. I reset the NVRAM and PRAM. It seemed to work, but then the problem resurfaced.

I'm now convinced that my FireWire problems are now hardware related, and thus, my motherboard needs replacement.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a replacement motherboard? Are there any freeware software utilities to check this hypothesis? Any thoughts at all?

Please let me know...

Thanks,

Russ Barnes russbarnes@rocketmail.com

kaye
07-19-2001, 12:20 AM
Russ,

Go here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jul01/071601.html#S12209

Breedon had some problems with FireWire when testing a Cube a day or two before the report I linked about. Search for the original report. It should be at the bottom of the page in the above link. I forget what he did to fix it. In fact he may not know. Anyway there are some possible solutions.

I'm looking for a new Mac. Guess I'll get the three year warranty. k

russbarnes
07-19-2001, 12:30 AM
K.

Will try the solution, but GAWD, this is horrible. Do you know of any place I might be able to get a replacement motherboard, if this does not fix it?

Thanks,

Russ

magician
07-23-2001, 12:57 PM
talk to www.preowned.com. (http://www.preowned.com.)

they undersell Applecare, and offer a 90-day warranty on exchange parts rather than Apple's 30-days.

you are getting into the realm inhabited by Authorized Service providers....and it ain't cheap. You can save yourself some labor charges, though, if you know what you are doing.